secondary school admissions appeal process

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
No sorry, I am just going through the registration process at the moment for my eldest for next year. What a faff

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
No sorry, I am just going through the registration process at the moment for my eldest for next year. What a faff

same boat, but i've been advised that it's best to plan any appeal that might be necessary well in advance (at time of initial application).

ChrisKH

Guru
No, but I know someone who has. Essential to put together a reasonable appeal because even if you don't get in on first knockings there's always a possibility that someone will pull out early in the first term. One young lady I know was rejected from her secondary first choice - absolutely distraught. On day one of the new term her parents got a phone call saying that, yes, if she wanted she could go to the school (someone had not turned up, moved and failed to inform them). She was elated. In the end she went to he second choice school for one day. Pain in the arse, re: uniform, etc. but it worked out ok in the end. It also means that there is a better likelihood that her younger sister (who sits next to my son) will be granted access when she goes up to secondary. It's worhwhile pointing out that her first choice secondary is a catholic church school and she isn't a catholic, which would have been one of the criteria she was rejected on. They do accept you if you are church going c of e.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
Are you outside of the catchment area for your first choice school, alec?

Crackle said:
Why might you not get your first choice school?

the school in question is about as good as it's possible to get in the state sector, hence it is extremely popular. it has no catchment area, prioritises siblings, then feeder schools (of which our daughter's is one of the second-tier ones), with distance the tie breaker.

we are only 1.5 miles away, however, so we are still what could be considered local to it.

one complicating factor is the presence of three other high schools in the town; 1 catholic (so not for us), 1 which would be fine (and is our second choice), and the one in who's catchment area we are in which is, in our opinion (and that of ofsted), not very good at getting the best from the brightest students (of which, hand on heart, our daughter is).

another factor is the fact that a very wealthy area's primary schools are on the first-tier list, so often you won't get in first time. once the independent schools announce their intake, places at the popular state school become available for some of those that still want them, given in order of priority as the initial process.

we are near enough to hope we get in second time, but are prepared to appeal if we have to.

surfgurl

As a bit of voluntary work I sit on the panel as a laymember for school admission appeals. If you want some help getting your case together or understanding the process then let me know. I'd be happy to help.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
surfgurl said:
As a bit of voluntary work I sit on the panel as a laymember for school admission appeals. If you want some help getting your case together or understanding the process then let me know. I'd be happy to help.

thanks surfgirl. i'll pm you when i've had a look at how we might approach matters.

gavintc

Guru
mr_cellophane said:
I know people who have. The "secret" is to lie, lie and tell more lies.

Sadly, I think there is some truth in this. Many years ago we appealed on very sound grounds. We went to a panel, were completely honest with them, described the issue and expected the decision to be overturned - it wasn't. We appealed again, by this time slightly incredulous, as we lived next to the school, and we had been allocated a school 4 miles away. The school advised us to make up other factors - problems with mobility, job timing problems etc. Our second appeal succeeded, but left me deeply cynical of the process and the attitude of the local ed authority. Good luck

Bigtallfatbloke

I think if you own a huge 4x4 and state that it simply wouldn't do to be seen in the 'wrong school' car park you will get what you want. I think (based on our experience) the louder you shout the more you get.

I am being flippant, I know it's a serious thing for your family best of luck.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have been through the appeal process this year, and did suceed but I can say its not a process I enjoyed - incrediably stressful for both parents and child.

We were doing it as they changed the rules last year, under the old system we would have got into our 1st pref school (where her older sister is) despite being out of catchment. New Equal Pref system meant anyone living nearer the school got it whether they put it 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

We had a number of reasons why we felt our daughter should go to that school, one of them being that she has no road sense. And to get to the school she had been allocated she would have to cross lots of roads. This has been already proved on the two days she has come home without her sister she has had difficulties, including managing to walk past a pedestrian crossing and then trying to cross and almost get run over at a set of lights with no pedestrian phase. Doesn't matter what I do she just seems to be in a day dream when near the road - dangerous combination. I'm just so glad that she normally has her sister with her.

At the appeal process they read out the comments of previous parents - about the size of class rooms etc, and the council's comments back. This freaked me slightly as my appeal was totally relating to my child rather than the physical building.

I would be careful about making up lies as they question you, and I wasn't quite prepared for that and was thrown slightly. Not that I had lied, just I prepared for the questions I was expecting, whereas the conversation developes and it would have been hard to cover lies. Though you could probably exaggerate some problem easier.

Places were annonced in March, and the appeal was in June, though we were able to ring up the day after to hear the results. I was an emotional wreck when I made that call, and asked her to repeat the fact she had suceeded in her appeal twice just to be sure I had heard correctly.

I was prepared to wait all the way to the 1st day of term even if we didn't suceed.

Willow

surfgurl said:

where are you based? interesting website keep horsley in the howard will show you some of the issues around here locally. Fortunately I got one in last year and the other will get in on sibling rule this year. We were told in our scenario where we employed legal advice to make sure we applied for 3 schools, all over subsribed and then the powers would get to work on our first choice.

Parents only have choice if they want a ..... school, no choice for the good schools.

Local authorities do check facts on applications so be careful what you say particularly where addresses are involved. If you lie and get caught you are in trouble and will ruin your chances of getting in.

Top Bottom