Seeking the impossible - cheap road bike sub 8.5kg that can climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
and was a second quicker
I don't care how far you rode, a second is within statistical margin of error. It's not worth thinking about. Obviously the below is entirely subjective, but:
Reasonable excuses for getting a new bike:
  • I like the colour.
  • I want a more comfortable ride.
  • The new bike offers features my existing bikes do not.
  • I want to go faster, I'm racing, and I'm already following a well structured training plan.
Not so reasonable excuses for getting a new bike:
  • I want to go faster, I'm not following a training plan or racing but have cash to burn.
Just enjoy riding your bike! :bicycle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£1,000 wheels are just a waste, unless you are racing and want to go 0.00001% slightly faster. You need something at a reasonable weight, and robust. I have handbuilts on the best bike, just 100% reliable and middle ground weight wise - never bought on weight. I have spare wheels for a few bikes but they are for 'different jobs'.

By all means get another bike, but don't expect a kg to make you go faster. There is only one way to go faster, and that's riding more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
I don't care how far you rode, a second is within statistical margin of error. It's not worth thinking about. Obviously the below is entirely subjective, but:
Reasonable excuses for getting a new bike:
  • I like the colour.
  • I want a more comfortable ride.
  • The new bike offers features my existing bikes do not.
  • I want to go faster, I'm racing, and I'm already following a well structured training plan.
Not so reasonable excuses for getting a new bike:
  • I want to go faster, I'm not following a training plan or racing but have cash to burn.
Just enjoy riding your bike! :bicycle:

Obviously point 3 applies, not sure how the post qualifies as advice

vickster

Legendary Member
Obviously point 3 applies, not sure how the post qualifies as advice

Put some road tyres on your CX and see how that second looks. Why do you need to spend a grand on wheels, my CX had heavy old wheels, improved for a few hundred?

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
I have arranged to do a side by side with the Defy in an hour or so, so I will soon have as close to an accurate comparison as is possible.

fossyant

By all means got another bike, that's not a bad idea, but get it for the purpose of being a road bike. Keep the CX for off road.

I got the CX as I fancied something for all the bridleways and canals nearby - it's a waste taking a Full suspension bike on those tracks and costly in maintenance. The other MTB was suitable, but that's been re-purposed into a commuter, and is running slicks, so no good in mud. The road bikes are for road.

I've taken the CX to Wales and it's been more suitable for some of the gritty back lanes where we stay, and it's got a 34 x 32 at the back, rather than 39 x 26, so it's very easy going up walls on it.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Put some road tyres on your CX and see how that second looks. Why do you need to spend a grand on wheels, my CX had heavy old wheels, improved for a few hundred?

No intention of spending a grand, don't have that sort of dosh. I have been asking around but I can't find anyone I know who has wheels with road tyre that will fit the Mares. I really don't want to be changing the tyres on my rims, took ages to get them to seal properly.

fossyant

People like spending, which is fine, but the OP won't be going any faster for 500g. The bike/tyres make that difference. Get another bike as using a CX for everything will be a compromise.

Tyres make a big difference, even on a MTB. I've got some cheap Nobby Nics that roll better than the expensive Minions. The Minions are a real drag on tarmac or climbs, but they are incredibly good for grip, like night and day. The Nobby's are sketchy on descents and off camber, the Minions are planted.

fossyant

No intention of spending a grand, don't have that sort of dosh. I have been asking around but I can't find anyone I know who has wheels with road tyre that will fit the Mares. I really don't want to be changing the tyres on my rims, took ages to get them to seal properly.

You just need the specs, axel type and width of hub, and that's it.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
By all means got another bike, that's not a bad idea, but get it for the purpose of being a road bike. Keep the CX for off road.

I got the CX as I fancied something for all the bridleways and canals nearby - it's a waste taking a Full suspension bike on those tracks and costly in maintenance. The other MTB was suitable, but that's been re-purposed into a commuter, and is running slicks, so no good in mud. The road bikes are for road.

I've taken the CX to Wales and it's been more suitable for some of the gritty back lanes where we stay, and it's got a 34 x 32 at the back, rather than 39 x 26, so it's very easy going up walls on it.

That would be the justification for getting a bike rather than wheels. Tarmac does seem to eat the CX's tyres. Mind you the CX has been good for bikepacking in spite of the paucity of lugs.
It mostly gets a mix of gravel and potholed tarmac lanes - except when I use it to do the 50 mile return journey to work (which isn't often).

Sharky

Guru
I don't think anybody yet has mentioned technical technique when it comes to hill climbing.

Knowing a hill and pacing yourself. Knowing when to go flat out to get over a summit.
Selecting the right gear ratio.
When to sit or get out of the saddle
When to pull up with clipped in pedals.
Keeping the legs slightly bent at 6 o'clock. Once legs are fully straight, it's only your body weight and arm strength applying thrust downwards.

The more you ride, the better the technique becomes and the faster you go. But you need to self analyse your technique. Try something different next time and decide which is better.

fossyant

Get on ebay and look for a road bike about £400 - the CX I got was a Colnago with 105, so it can be done. Don't worry about weight, more on condition so you aren't spending a fortune on it.

I went with an old School CX (canti's) as I had spare wheels. So one set are knobblies, using my spare wheels, and the others are on Gators - the previous owner used it to get round the hills in Ribble Valley - so I've now got the option on using the CX in very hilly conditions if I so wish - my old road bikes aren't too pleasant riding up 20% hills on the gears they have.

Top Bottom