Seen and be Seen, Bus vs Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apologies if you have seen this before but I was directed towards this video tonight covering the bus cyclist interaction and thought it'd be good to share, its just a pity that all bus training wasn't as good as Lothian Buses.

Using the knowledge we have gained, we have made a short film to help make road users, especially cyclists, more aware of the space large vehicles need to manoeuvre, the space cyclists need and the importance for them to be seen.
The film is now being used as part of our driver training programme for both new and existing drivers. Our drivers have said that it has helped them realise just how quickly cyclists can travel and the importance of using their mirrors regularly.

davefb

Guru
innnteresting, my mate was telling me about this , I don't think he realised it was an actual training video, think he thought it was something someone had done..

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
That video is excellent.

I wonder whether perhaps the First Bus people have been shown it. I've had many problems in the past with First Buses, but yesterday evening's encounters were exemplary:

A very good piece of work.

It doesn't patronise, it shows both views, it doesn't lecture; it gets the points across well.

It made some points that had not occured to me.

Someone put some thought into that and it has paid off.

Edge705

That video is an addiction on my commute to work this morning every car that passed me I was saying to myself where's the cyclist gone ! (as if I was the driver of the car):wacko: That video would be ideal in driving tests it kind of stamps something on your memory IMO it also bigs the driver up in that the driver would or should take self gratificattion that he has passed a cyclist safely and upon stopping and spotting the cyclist again gives himself another pat on the back

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
A good video, but it's a shame about the spelling and punctuation errors (an example is at 6 minutes 19). Other than that it's very good and the bus company should be applauded.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A very good piece of work.

It doesn't patronise, it shows both views, it doesn't lecture; it gets the points across well.

It made some points that had not occured to me.

Someone put some thought into that and it has paid off.
agreed. Impressive stuff. Perhaps we might circulate the link to bus companies? TfL drivers are almost all a model of courtesy, but there are towns in which the buses appear to be driven by psychopaths.

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
This video is great...the only thing I'd say was bad about it was the bus overtaking in the first scene. Thought it was a bit close and the fact that the bus driver was going to stop like 50 metres ahead, he could have waited for the cyclist to get to that point and then pull in. Otherwise the video was great. It didn't put cyclists down, it was almost like a help and advice video for both cyclists and bus drivers. I'd be surprised if it isn't used at all.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have to say though it wasnt a great example of urban cycling.I think the cyclist was pulling out way too late to pass parked vehicles and I would have taken the lane and not given the driver the option to overtake in a few places.

I think the danger of filtering past vehicles on the left could have been highlighted a bit more.

All in all though a really positive thing for drivers and cyclists to watch.It does graphically remind you that we are often invisible .

I use buses in Cambridge fairly often and I shudder at the way the bus drivers treat cyclists. Their overtaking leaves a very great deal to be desired, but the roads are infested with bikes. In this video the driver has a lone rider to cope with, but in Cambridge the bus drivers are constantly having to manage hordes of cyclists and I honestly think they have very little regard for the safety of others. They ought to be shown this video, and the cyclists also need to heed the advice it contains.

mumbo jumbo

agreed. Impressive stuff. Perhaps we might circulate the link to bus companies? TfL drivers are almost all a model of courtesy, but there are towns in which the buses appear to be driven by psychopaths.
Following this positive interaction with a Birmingham bus (

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zjkVmwMnt0
) I've been in contact with the company who were delighted with my feedback. I'll follow up with the company with a link to the vid in the OP.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
1970s-tastic production values, including missing and grocer's apostrophes, but the content was excellent - great to see a bus company doing this. Perhaps it can be shown to some TfL bus drivers who used to be the best around and now seem to be among the worst.

Top Bottom