Self Illumination?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
A thought occured to me as I was on my way home last night, after encountering the surreal sight of two small bright lights seemingly floating in the air, bobbing about coming towards me on the other side of the road which turned out to be a black-clad cyclist with no reflectives with a light on his handlebars and one on his helmet.

Howabouts having a small light on the handlebars pointing TOWARDS yourself, so other road users can see what you are?

I often find having bright lights seem to suck in the light around them, often making people using them harder to see than easier.

Thoughts?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I find that using very bright front lights makes drivers wait before pulling out, presumably they think it's a motorbike. Think i prefer it that way to removing any doubt.

fimm

Veteran
You don't want it to be obvious what you are. You want the driver to think "What on earth is that?" rather than "oh, its just a cyclist, I can cut them up".
IMHO of course.

Not so sure that Light Rider idea is such a good one, as it would affect your night vision having it shining towards your chest.

I'd agree cyclists with a handlebar light and a helmet light are very visible due to the WTF effect of seeing 2 vertical lights.

I've probably mentioned this before, but several years ago at night I spotted a recumbent going the other way, who was extremely visible, as he had a white LED fitted to the top of his flag pointing down onto his head and shoulders, which really made him stand out.

Good job he wasn't bald though, as otherwise I'd have been blinded by the reflection.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
You don't want it to be obvious what you are. You want the driver to think "What on earth is that?" rather than "oh, its just a cyclist, I can cut them up".
IMHO of course.

I agree absolutely. I like the fact that my lumicycles are so bright I am mistaken for a tractor on unlit rural roads -- I've had drivers pull over into laybys and wait for me to go past :laugh: .

Sam

jimboalee

I've seen a guy with a 'down flood' on the front of his helmet to illuminate his computer and gear changers ( the ones with numbers behind little windows ).

It was a WIDE angle and lit up his sleeves which were red, and his nose which was also red.

wesa

I was thinking about this the other day. My plan is to mount a light on my rack and have it shining at my back. My concern is that if I use a decent light (Magicshine) then might create some strange 'aura' lighting effect from the front. Perhaps I need to experiment with some of the old lights that I never seem to throw out

I had planned to try it out earlier in the week but I never got round to it, I'll try tonight (as long as the wind hasn't blown the garage roof off)

My 2 cents: I want the driver to realise I am a cyclist, perhaps after a bit of a delay and some use of the brakes, but I don't want them overtaking me being distracted from the task in hand. I don't have many junctions on my commute so I am more worried about being seen from the back. If someone mistakes two ~900 Lumen lights (above each other) and a backup for a tractor, car, motorbike, plane, UFO then so be it.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

IMHO of course.

I have noticed this effect over the last week with my new Exposure light. It's the brightest I've ever had. Putting it on full beam you can see people start to pull out of side roads, and then stop as they seem to try and work out what it is that's coming.

A thought occured to me as I was on my way home last night, after encountering the surreal sight of two small bright lights seemingly floating in the air, bobbing about coming towards me on the other side of the road which turned out to be a black-clad cyclist with no reflectives with a light on his handlebars and one on his helmet.

Howabouts having a small light on the handlebars pointing TOWARDS yourself, so other road users can see what you are?

I often find having bright lights seem to suck in the light around them, often making people using them harder to see than easier.

Thoughts?

You'd generally have the car lighting you up, specially with HV.

But, I'd agree... HV top on with a light on the rear of your rack pointing towards you should give you quite good visibility.

Putting one in front of you towards you isn't going to work, as it will blind you.

wesa

I just discussed my earlier post, and the whole idea of self illumination, with some colleagues. I was after thoughts from non-cyclists and cyclists on the topic, the feedback from all was that this is worth further investigation.

What did cause some laughs was the likley glow of my high-vis jacket when viewed from the front. Now consider that I work very near to the Diamond Light Source http://www.diamond.ac.uk/. What sort of responce would I receive if I am seen 'glowing' as I cycle away from the site. I think I will be given more room than ever before.

I have to give this a go!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1242021"]
The headlights of a car in a side road won't illuminate an approaching cyclist.
[/quote]

Neither, as I experienced last night, do the lights from a vehicle coming towards the cyclist on the other side of a wide road.

Not good if they then decide to turn across that ... reflection from the moon on a puddle or ... someone's window or whatever that light is.

Top Bottom