Selling advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony K

My father in law has asked me to sell his bike for him. Any advice on the best place to sell and how much I should be looking to sell for?

The details he has given me are:

Hand built men's road bike by Geoff Smith with shamano gears (21 gears).

Frame is made from 531 steel tubing.

Excellent condition - hardly used.

Bought for over £1,200

Extras include:
Spare tyre and tube
2 pumps
Water bottle
Money bag
Screenshot_20230809_164836_WhatsApp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could try to sell it on here, but they're notoriously tight barstewards.
You could also try the EvilBay but realistically you might only get a couple of hundred, nowhere near it's real value but the market is flat and vintage steel 7 speed bikes are not much sought after.
@biggs682 might give you a better appraisal. Where are you based?
What size is it?

Edit: But you've already got on there for £150 starting price.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thank you @Cycleops and welcome to the forum @Anthony K .

As already mentioned steel bike sales are slow at the moment. It all depends on how desperate you are to sell , I would suggest setting a reserve for the figures you are hoping for otherwise you might be disappointed.

Try and include as much information about the bike and it's specification and some clear photos AND be honest.

Good luck

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having a £150 start price is sensible, but you may have to wait for a sale.

The listing title needs the size and '531' in. Something about who Geoff Smith is as a frame builder would possibly attract un-aware buyers.

Oh, and welcome.

OP
OP
A

Anthony K

You could try to sell it on here, but they're notoriously tight barstewards.
You could also try the EvilBay but realistically you might only get a couple of hundred, nowhere near it's real value but the market is flat and vintage steel 7 speed bikes are not much sought after.
@biggs682 might give you a better appraisal. Where are you based?
What size is it?

Edit: But you've already got on there for £150 starting price.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

We're based in Atherton near Manchester.

Yes, already on Ebay, does £150 seem like a good starting price?? I've got £350 reserved on it but don't know if I'm expected too much/not enough.

I'm awaiting more info re size and some clearer/better pics.

Sharky

Guru
Are you into cycling yourself? It would make a great starter bike, why not buy it yourself and give it a go. He would probably give you a good family discount.
Looks like a 23" frame.

stephec

Legendary Member
Is that Geoff Smith in Bolton, I used to go in there when I was in the Lancashire Road Club?

A proper old school shop catering for local club riders, I think he retired a few years ago now.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think your reserve is rather high, but go on and see how it goes.
Give a bit background too as per @stephec post. Maybe jazz it up a bit with references to 'old skool'. If it's ready to ride away state that as well, someone might be just looking for ride to work/play type bike.
Also state, if you can, the rider height it would be suitable for.
Good luck.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Big frames are unfashionable and cheap, although most people were riding frames that were too small for them at the end of the horizontal top tube era.

Good points: threadless fork looks more modern. 531 has some cachet, but only really 531C or 531DB (same thing, really). 531 plain gauge or main tubes only, not so much.

Bad points: size, 1" threadless was a technological dead end, not a well-known builder, presumably 126mm rear spacing rather than 130mm.

I'd say £150-200.

Top Bottom