servicing hubs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

here you go, the pics requested, I just use the large chainring...well I think I've just wasted £30 as the hub ratchets seemed fine, bit dry as the hub is noticeably quieter now, will try out tomorrow. If the problem is still there then I guess it's either the bearings (then again don't think the bearings would cause this issue) BB or the chainrings?

photo%202%20cc_zpsrk7uqrtx.jpg
[/URL]

photo%201%20cc_zpspkcusypw.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
here you go, the pics requested, I just use the large chainring...well I think I've just wasted £30 as the hub ratchets seemed fine, bit dry as the hub is noticeably quieter now, will try out tomorrow. If the problem is still there then I guess it's either the bearings (then again don't think the bearings would cause this issue) BB or the chainrings?

photo%202%20cc_zpsrk7uqrtx.jpg
[/URL]

photo%201%20cc_zpspkcusypw.jpg
[/URL]

It's hard to tell because the images are a bit out of focus, but they do look a bit worn to me. Any chance you can get a photo of the back side of the crankset, in focus, so we can compare with the smaller chainring?

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Ok heres another pic, does the chainrings need changing and if so as I only use the large chainring, is it worth loosing the other 2 chainrings and just running one? if so any recommendations on the best option, just removing the other two, just not using the other 2 and leave them there, or any other option?...but have to say, since servicing the rear hub yesterday the problem has stopped and the bike is a dream to ride (maybe 90% placebo effect!) it's embarrassing now thinking how loud the hub was, I can't hear it now whilst riding, previously I would use the hub and freewheel in place of a horn...I remember when I got the wheels and questioned how loud they were, was told it was normal for expensive wheels to be loud!!!....so turns out the poor wheels have been needing a service from new!

Just to add, when I changed the ratchets, I noticed the new ones were solid, whereas the old were hallow? I thought only the DT swiss 36 ratchet upgrade ratchets were hallow, as they are advertised as the "light" option, hence the hallow ratchet and the 18 which I have were all solid?

photo%20cc_zpsy658tqmn.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
That large chainring does need changing. If you never use the others you could just fit a larger middle ring and lose the other two. You could als lose the front mech and shifter to make it all the simpler. Make sure your chain stays won't foul a larger middle ring before you go down this route. Use the middle position because that gives you a kinder chainline across the whole cassette.

Expensive hubs are noisy, listen to YouTube videos of Hope Pro2 s or Chris Kings to see what I mean.

If your hub now no longer slips, it is very possible that the pawls were sticky previously. Hollow ones are more likely to be noisy than solid ones.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

That large chainring does need changing. If you never use the others you could just fit a larger middle ring and lose the other two. You could als lose the front mech and shifter to make it all the simpler. Make sure your chain stays won't foul a larger middle ring before you go down this route. Use the middle position because that gives you a kinder chainline across the whole cassette.

Expensive hubs are noisy, listen to YouTube videos of Hope Pro2 s or Chris Kings to see what I mean.

If your hub now no longer slips, it is very possible that the pawls were sticky previously. Hollow ones are more likely to be noisy than solid ones.

cheers, then I'll do that then, I don't like carrying stuff I don't use.

The £30 on the ratchets was not wasted after all then...I was walking with a mate the other day, he was on the phone and was asked by who he was talking to what the noise was, turned out they were meaning my hub!

Top Bottom