Shane Sutton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
British Cycling said:
Drake's leaving date has been brought forward because he has completed handover of his duties, and chief operating officer Jamie Obank has been approached to lead the governing body until his successor recruited.

This sounds unusual - wouldn't you expect a CEO to hand over to their successor, or at least interim? Who has he handed over to?

Article later says the idea came from him, which might mean he's trying to get out while the getting's good, or he's already set up something else to go to and needs to be there before April.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Cookson says "It's ok to be sexist and a bully if you get the medals" or something like that
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/01/coo...g-claims-says-he-has-a-great-respect-for-him/

This makes me really angry. It's reasonable enough to point out that there are only so many places at the top of the ladder, and that some who fall along the way may look for perhaps invalid reasons why they fell. It's not acceptable if he's using that to dismiss legitimate concerns, and it seems there are some legitimate concerns.

Moreover, the suggestion that 'some people didn't find [Sutton's] approach so comfortable' seems to be tacit acknowledgement of a hard-nosed, perhaps bullying attitude. Perhaps some people will need that attitude, others won't; it's the mark of a good coach or manager that they are able to adapt their style to get the best out of those they are managing.

To suggest that Sutton may have been a bully but it's OK because he got the results is a nonsense anyway, because you have no benchmark. How can you be certain that in the same situation, with the same financial and technical input and the same athletes, someone with a different attitude might have got better results? Bullying is never, ever acceptable no matter what the results.

Isn't it also slightly odd that Cookson is airing what seem to be his personal opinions anyway? The guy is head of the UCI - surely he must be aware that whatever he says will be taken as the official line, or at least a reflection of the official view within UCI and perhaps BC?

Yeah I read that. UK Sport are scrambling about to take a higher position and distance themselves from any governance oversight of how public funds are spent by national federations. Yeah I know they're a funding body but...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah I read that. UK Sport are scrambling about to take a higher position and distance themselves from any governance oversight of how public funds are spent by national federations. Yeah I know they're a funding body but...
I'll be very surprised if the government has any problem with that, given that the Department for Transport currently take a higher position and distance themselves from any governance oversight of how public funds are spent on cycling (or against it or not at all) by highway authorities because localism.

mjr

The phrase "dropping like flies" comes to mind*
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...n-310724?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

*as could "fleeing like rats"...
I also doubt this bit from that report: "The organisation has also halved the size of its executive leadership committee from eight to four senior staff members – a move that had been planned for some time to improve communication across the organisation."

How can half as many staff doing the same work mean they're going to have more time to talk to members? :headshake:

I also doubt this bit from that report: "The organisation has also halved the size of its executive leadership committee from eight to four senior staff members – a move that had been planned for some time to improve communication across the organisation."

How can half as many staff doing the same work mean they're going to have more time to talk to members? :headshake:
You're not smelling bullsh*t are you? :whistle:

It cannae be long before BC rename themselves BS...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Ex-VW boss takes over. At least he should be able to reduce the amount of emissions from BC, or maybe not......
I've met him.

A couple of years ago we were doing a Sportive from Malvern. The Cycling Weekly Mad Hatter Sportive. We left on the second wave, and caught up with this bloke who was looking for company at a decent speed, and liked the pace and company, so stayed with us for the rest of the ride. We got chatting, and he told us that he worked in Automotive, but was looking to retire. For some reason, my cycling companion decided to have a better look. Easy to find his name in the list of finishers, did a quick search on the internet, and found a few articles with his name and photo. Turned out that "worked in automotive" meant a bit more than that. He was head of VW North America after being something very important in Jaguar, so maybe not involved with the emissions scandal stuff, but this broke after we met him, and there is no doubt that he would not have revealed anything to a couple of strangers anyway.

I'm following him on Strava, and he has been doing some lovely, serious rides since we met him - proper stuff in the Pyrenees and similar.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for UKSport, they should quit whinging after the event and examine their own role in funding a body with potentially lapse governance. They're pretty quick to ruin athletes lives by withdrawing funding and being pretty hard nosed about it and fund the those producing medals no matter what or how; pathetic hypocrites.

mjr

It's all going swimmingly at BC.
Cookson taking a "no comment" approach, it does seem to suit him better than when he does open his mouth.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39037374
I'm currently reading "The Breakaway" and Cookson comes out as a nice-but-ineffective BC president.

This quote from UK Sport's Chief Exec is an amazing piece of arse-covering: "It's fair to say that the high-performance system here is pretty male-dominated. There aren't very many female coaches and there's an opportunity to address that in future, and to get a better balance to support athletes in a way that athletes of today want to be supported." They've had nearly two decades to address that and have failed to do so at every turn. History says they can't be trusted to do it themselves, so much as I dislike such measures, I feel it's time to attach some clear equality strings (athlete, coach and management) to their funding and remit.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for UKSport, they should quit whinging after the event and examine their own role in funding a body with potentially lapse governance. They're pretty quick to ruin athletes lives by withdrawing funding and being pretty hard nosed about it and fund the those producing medals no matter what or how; pathetic hypocrites.
Actually, if UKSport had been funding those producing medals, I think Cooke might have been a lot less unhappy! During her time, she seemed to get funding intermittently, grudgingly and often with attempts to control her, despite winning medals at a time when the consistently better-funded blessed men and few women weren't. When she tried to get UK Sport to intervene, they initially refused and then were pretty ineffective. So no, I've little sympathy for UKSport and don't really expect this review to fix things... but I'd love to be surprised.

Back to the topic: Shane Sutton. In "The Breakaway" so far, he seems to be a loose cannon, initially helpful, although possibly slightly Machiavellian, but then later unpredictable and often disrespectful or disruptive, possibly when he realises that no-one in management is going to act on complaints against him in any meaningful way.

Anyone grumbling that Cooke's written evidence to the select committee was short on detail and dates should take a look in the book. It's all there and it seems like she's kept quite an archive of letters, emails and so on, with her solicitor getting involved depressingly early on.

Top Bottom