Shimano R500`s or Fulcrum Racing 7`s ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grayduff

Über Member
Having just damaged my rear wheel i am looking to replace the set with either the above or others , money is tight so a budget of £120 ish, does anybody have any experience with these and any other recommendations would be much appreciated ...Cheers:thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Fulcrum 7's are very robust if heavy (as any wheel at this price will be). But they are great for the money. I use a pair as all weather training wheels.

Shimano, not used them. Probably also good, they seem popular. I have used Shimano RS10 wheels before, these were good and lasted 3 years as all weather training wheels until they started popping spokes regularly and it was not economical to keep replacing spokes.

With Shimano you do have to take a bit more care in servicing the bearings, but it is not a major task.

If I had to pick one, Fulcrum R7 or Shimano RS10's, I would say the Fulcrum were the better wheel, they flex less.

400bhp

Guru
If money is tight, the R500's (now R501's) are a good budget wheel.

I've used them for the last 2-3 years or so on my commuter. The first set lasted 7000 miles before the rim wore through.

Some people seem to have issues with the bearings and the need to service them. Touch wood, for me, I've never had to go near the hubs to service them.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Planet x a57 are unreliable, in my experience. Particularly the hubs...
AL30's on the other hand are very good for the £

Fulcrum R7's are ok, if you don't mind the machine gun FX :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
501s - Bike-Discount de and Rose - both around £70, inc delivery charges, but think they are out of stock at the moment.

Apologies for the hijack, but I had come down to an almost identical decision, Shimano R501's or Fulcrum racing 7 CX's.

So does anyone have any thoughts on the Fulcrum racing 7 CX's? I ask becuase I am considering them for my triban 3 and was wondering if I might be better off getting the CX's for an extra £5 than the straight racing 7's? (it is a bearings issue I have yet again - 10-12 weeks after the rear hub & bearings were all last done and not by me, so I can't blame the workwoman).

It is just where I live the road to the house is testing (for road bikes) to say the least... it is single track with nasty unavoidable speed bumps that are spoke breakers (8 & no way of going around them at all), and it is usually covered in soil/debris, run off or the current theme is fallen trees after yesterday. My alternative is a converted railway line which is hardcore/clay and tends to hold onto your wheel when the weather is wet (it gets rather sticky).

2 of my neighbours actually drive their road bikes down the lane to the closest car park and cycle from there, but I don't have that option during the week with us only having the one car and my bikes being my only transport.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Apologies for the hijack, but I had come down to an almost identical decision, Shimano R501's or Fulcrum racing 7 CX's.

So does anyone have any thoughts on the Fulcrum racing 7 CX's? I ask becuase I am considering them for my triban 3 and was wondering if I might be better off getting the CX's for an extra £5 than the straight racing 7's? (it is a bearings issue I have yet again - 10-12 weeks after the rear hub & bearings were all last done and not by me, so I can't blame the workwoman).

It is just where I live the road to the house is testing (for road bikes) to say the least... it is single track with nasty unavoidable speed bumps that are spoke breakers (8 & no way of going around them at all), and it is usually covered in soil/debris, run off or the current theme is fallen trees after yesterday. My alternative is a converted railway line which is hardcore/clay and tends to hold onto your wheel when the weather is wet (it gets rather sticky).

2 of my neighbours actually drive their road bikes down the lane to the closest car park and cycle from there, but I don't have that option during the week with us only having the one car and my bikes being my only transport.
Has the frame got enough clearance to run cx tyres ?

Has the frame got enough clearance to run cx tyres ?
the wheels are the racing 7's just with different hubs & seals and I know a couple of other T3 owners have the racing 7's on their bikes, so I have taken a bit of a gamble but I am reasonably confident (need a smilie with crossed fingures... I am currently running 700x25c schwable durano pluses and they are not the smallest tyre. It won't take anything larger due to the mudguards I have fitted, so we will have to see what the outcome is when they arrive - just placed the order. Simply utterly fed up of stripping the bike every 10-12 weeks and re-doing bearings & cones. It is getting boring. otherwise in a few weeks in the for sale forum....

U

User6179

the wheels are the racing 7's just with different hubs & seals and I know a couple of other T3 owners have the racing 7's on their bikes, so I have taken a bit of a gamble but I am reasonably confident (need a smilie with crossed fingures... I am currently running 700x25c schwable durano pluses and they are not the smallest tyre. It won't take anything larger due to the mudguards I have fitted, so we will have to see what the outcome is when they arrive - just placed the order. Simply utterly fed up of stripping the bike every 10-12 weeks and re-doing bearings & cones. It is getting boring. otherwise in a few weeks in the for sale forum....

Think the cx version is the same as normal but with double sealed cartridge bearings .

Top Bottom