shoelaces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Is it my imagination, or have shoelaces become much stronger in recent years?

I'm sure that up till the age of about 23 I was breaking about a set a week, but these days an average set outlives a pair of shoes and can easily go on to do a couple of conker seasons.

Why can't breadboxes be as resilient? I've never had a breadbox whose door didn't jam within 1 second of use.

Maybe a cultural exchange between the shoelace and breadbox industry is in order.

domtyler

Über Member
Are you struggling to punch your way out of wet paper bags and being challenged while crushing grapes nowadays too?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

The only problematic set of shoelaces I have seen in recent years are those on a pair of black reebok classics, that obviously have some sort of glossy treatment on them to keep them in keeping with the leather.

Although they have yet to suffer any breakage, they constantly become undone because they are just too slippery.

Maz

Guru
I think you're right, Ab. Like most kids my shoelaces broke more times than I could remember. The problem was that they'd break right where the eyehole was, making it difficult to mend the lace by tying a knot in it. Plus, the plastic ends broke off fraying the end of the laces, making it difficult to re-thread them through the eyeholes.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

I'm just studying 3 different pairs of trainers:

-a 70 pound pair of jamiroquai dancing boots
-a 60 quid pair of running shoes
-my cheap runarounds

The dancing shoes are definitely the best quality with no ends fraying. There is a bit of discoloration though. The asic running shoes have those stretchy white ones, which seem robust enough. The cheap ones, well the plastic ends have gone.

It could be that todays laces are better made than those made when we were youngsters.

As a side issue, does anyone else notice that there has been a reduction in the amount of shoe wear that require laces these days?

Is there a connection? I think we should be told. ;)

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Lardyboy said:
As a side issue, does anyone else notice that there has been a reduction in the amount of shoe wear that require laces these days?

Not necessarily. Mocassins and loafers have always been a popular choice, and whilst I guess we have those slip-on trainers theses days, they are nothing more than a fashion victim's affectation, and won't last long.

Abitrary said:
Not necessarily. Mocassins and loafers have always been a popular choice, and whilst I guess we have those slip-on trainers theses days, they are nothing more than a fashion victim's affectation, and won't last long.

Whilst I agree with you on the mocassin and loafer being popular for many a year Abitrary, I have seen an increase in the number of other types footwear that have no, or worse "faux" laces e.g Specialized S-Works.:ohmy:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Lardyboy said:
Whilst I agree with you on the mocassin and loafer being popular for many a year Abitrary, I have seen an increase in the number of other types footwear that have no, or worse "faux" laces e.g Specialized S-Works.:ohmy:

Kung fu shoes would have been the older statistical replacement for cycling shoes.

I remember a not totally attractive friend at school bought some kung shoes because he reckoned that 'girls like to see a bit of skin'.

well, the crap ones that came with my caterpillar boots broke after about a week, i replaced them with those cheapo pound shop ones (you know, the pack of like 20, for errr 1 pound) and theyve lasted nearly 2 years, and still look new!!!!

stupid cheapo caterpillar brand..

Top Bottom