Short family cycling holiday - around 100 mile quiet route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I'm thinking of planning a short cycling trip with the other 1/2 and my 3 year old daughter. My daughter will be in the child seat.

Ideally I would like to do something over 3 days, with around 30-40 miles a day, fairly flat and fairly quiet (trails would be better). We'd be travelling light so would want to stop in hotels/b&b's. Ideal situation would be to start / end at a train station. We would be on rigid forked hybrids.

I was initially thinking of cycling the Trans Pennine Trail, heading east from Lymm (as I live just half a mile from it), but I've never been further that Chorlton Water Park. Is the TPT suitable? I would imagine it gets quite undulating towards the Pennines.

I'd be interested in ideas.

Thanks

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I wonder if this thread would be better in Touring & Expedition?

Hicky

Guru
Potsy is your man for this as he cycles it often.
I have to check this(within the next month,if you dont get any joy or an answer from me then pm me!) route for a run I'm leading but I'll only be able to check up to the Pyramid in Stockport and probably down to Chorlton, if Potsy doesnt turnup then I'll see what I can do.

At a guess it would be fairly rutted even in summer unless they've resurfaced alot of it since I was a kid,and you have to cross the main rd(B5095) and go though the Galleon hotel carpark....by all accounts there are numerous cyclegates....having said that I have plans on doing it with my kids so it cant be that bad(once I've checked it).

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You could get off the TPT near Marple and jump on the Middlewood Way which is nice and flat and takes you as far as Macc on trails only. (although that is only about 11 miles.)

rollinstok

Ravenglass to Carlisle ( part of Hadrians Cycleway ) follows NW coast on cyclepaths and minor roads, very flat ride with a couple of minor bumps

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Ravenglass to Carlisle ( part of Hadrians Cycleway ) follows NW coast on cyclepaths and minor roads, very flat ride with a couple of minor bumps

Oh yes - that looks perfect. Just plotted it on Bikeroutetoaster. 83 miles:thumbsup:

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=363332

rollinstok

You start right next door to hardknott pass! I wouldn't recommend that with your family, but if you get a day pass and are feeling utterly masochistic, it only possibly the hardest climb in the country!!!!

Check Hadrians Cycleway, it stays along the coast well away from the lake district passes. There are no climbs worth mentioning until after Carlisle which makes the ride up to Carlisle great for families.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Longer than you asked for but the northern section of the Penine Cycleway should meet much of four criteria. Starts at Appleby in Westmoorland station and finishes in Berwick on Tweed. The only major hill I can recall is Hartside. Lovely quiet rural ride of about 140 miles

Part of the southern section Derby to Glossop area is OK but only OK. The section from the Glossop area to Appleby is best described as tough. Good riding but some bastard climbs thrown in.

Top Bottom