Should I feel guilty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TWBNK

About a year ago I bought a bike, solely on the basis that it did what I wanted for the budget that I had. In the last year we have moulded to one another and covered quite a few miles in the process.

My employer has signed up to the cyclescheme from April this year and to be honest I have been out looking at other bikes. Not just one bike - I have been seeing a few bikes.

I was in work the other day brazenly talking about looking for a new ride with a few of the lads whilst my trusty steed was waiting patiently for me in the bays. It only hit me on the way home from work how attached I had grown to my bike. How we have taken the rough with the smooth together, how we both have had to adjust to each others needs. I felt quite bad about this.

When I have been looking for good points in a new ride I have found that the old one ticks most of the right boxes.

If I may be as bold as to ask two questions.

Will I feel guilty if I buy a new bike on the cyclescheme that isn't all that much different to the one I have other than costing twice as much and perhaps being classier?

and

Should I stop drinking now?

Keith Oates

Janner
Question 1 - Yes

Question 2 - Yes

Advice is go to bed and have a good sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Having a second bike is good for when you get a puncture or something goes mechanically wrong. Just don't do what I did and put a new saddle on it that you discover you hate, so the second bike rarely got used. But this week I've bought myself a nice new saddle and hopefully I will ride it more frequently.

But they probably will be different or any changes you do afterwards could take them different directions.

Gromit

Über Member
You don't need to get rid of your old bike, like summerdays says, a second bike is always good. You could keep the new bike for best and use the old one for winter.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Gromit said:
You don't need to get rid of your old bike, like summerdays says, a second bike is always good. You could keep the new bike for best and use the old one for winter.

what Gromit says + 1.
new bike = summer bike
old bike = winter bike

That way you don't feel guilt :rolleyes:

MajorMantra

buggi said:
what Gromit says + 1.
new bike = summer bike
old bike = winter bike

Doesn't work if the new one is way more fun to ride.

Matthew

Arch

Married to Night Train
MajorMantra said:
Doesn't work if the new one is way more fun to ride.

Matthew

As the OP said - the new one isn't going to be much different.

Anyway, the old bike can always be the back up for the inevitable times you have a major problem with the new one and don't have the time to fix it there and then (you come down to find a flat that's gone down overnight, and you have to get to work).

That way, the old one becomes even more faithful, in a way... It just sits and waits to be useful.

I have a winter bike and a summer bike, in fact my winter bike is newer than the summer one (and was built up specifically to be a winter hack). Soonish, I'll have my old Galaxy back too, and then I will have the which bike dilemma, as it would pretty much do for either and all seasons.

Top Bottom