should they bring in rules and laws for cyclists? (please read before shooting me down)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy0001

Über Member
When i was a fair bit younger we had to do a bike proficiency test, to see if we could ride safely on the roads.
i am a firm believer that there should be something upon these lines brought back in, hear me out..
Road rules are changing to protect cyclists and other road users, not in cars or bigger vehicles, Electric vehicles and some of the bigger SUV's are machines that are silent and huge, posing a huge risk to cyclists,
my thoughts are they should bring in some kinds of laws for cyclists(i am one, i rarely drive) in Helmets, lights and no headphones.
i live in Watford, we have busy roads there, i cycle there and in London, the amount of people i see with huge headphones on is ridiculous, that and currently it's dark out at 5pm and people are riding through roadworks, on the wrong sides on main roads towards traffic with no lights on and headphones on.

lights imo should be a must for all cyclists(after a set time of day must be on) helmets i know divides the crowd(i'll leave that)

headphones should be banned on cyclists(just sensible imo)

also a bike test of some kind, especially for the city, this week(i work on the underground) i saw a woman who was drunk from a night out, riding a Santander bike across Baker st junction around 11pm when her lights were red, she didn't have a clue if the roads she were crossing were clear, she couldn't have done. how she made or even if she did make it home on one piece i don't know.

so, what say you?(puts on helmet and ducks into a trench)

Brandane

Legendary Member
in Helmets, lights and no headphones.

You lost me after this gem. :rolleyes:
Didn't waste my time reading the rest.
Sorry, but I'm definitely OUT!!!

Solocle

Über Member
Headphones... how about car stereos?

And how far reaching is your proposed test going to be? Are we going to have to cover safe riding on pseudo-motorway dual carriageways?
1670431214605.png

:bicycle:

Brandane

Legendary Member
i saw a woman who was drunk from a night out, riding a Santander bike across Baker st junction around 11pm when her lights were red, she didn't have a clue if the roads she were crossing were clear,

OK, so I relented and went back and finished reading. Then saw this. WTF... maybe you should check to see what rules ALREADY exist. It is an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle (note... there is no prescribed limit, just DRUNK). And anyway, who was she going to harm if she crashed the bike, other than herself? Which is the whole point of why there are more stringent rules for motor vehicles. They move faster, they are much heavier, and therefore are much more capable of causing injury, death, and damage. HTH..

classic33

Leg End Member
Theres enough that anti cyclists can makes or or use against cyclists without introducing more animation or rules to be used against us? Why not clamp down more on drivers using mobile phones make the roads safer for everyone?
The law changed on the 25th March this year. It is now an offence to be holding any device capable of sending or receiving data whilst in charge of a motor vehicle.

classic33

Leg End Member
When i was a fair bit younger we had to do a bike proficiency test, to see if we could ride safely on the roads.
i am a firm believer that there should be something upon these lines brought back in, hear me out..
Road rules are changing to protect cyclists and other road users, not in cars or bigger vehicles, Electric vehicles and some of the bigger SUV's are machines that are silent and huge, posing a huge risk to cyclists,
my thoughts are they should bring in some kinds of laws for cyclists(i am one, i rarely drive) in Helmets, lights and no headphones.
i live in Watford, we have busy roads there, i cycle there and in London, the amount of people i see with huge headphones on is ridiculous, that and currently it's dark out at 5pm and people are riding through roadworks, on the wrong sides on main roads towards traffic with no lights on and headphones on.

lights imo should be a must for all cyclists(after a set time of day must be on) helmets i know divides the crowd(i'll leave that)

headphones should be banned on cyclists(just sensible imo)

also a bike test of some kind, especially for the city, this week(i work on the underground) i saw a woman who was drunk from a night out, riding a Santander bike across Baker st junction around 11pm when her lights were red, she didn't have a clue if the roads she were crossing were clear, she couldn't have done. how she made or even if she did make it home on one piece i don't know.

so, what say you?(puts on helmet and ducks into a trench)
The legal time for lights is anytime the sun is below the horizon. Been worded this way for a few years now.

The "rules" changed" earlier this year, why another reprint of the Highway Code.

Jameshow

Veteran
You lost me after this gem. :rolleyes:
Didn't waste my time reading the rest.
Sorry, but I'm definitely OUT!!!

Bit like seatbelts really, an optional extra!!

I think the three mentioned are sensible safety features.

No point making rules as we don't have the police to enforce them...

Top Bottom