Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpan

A few years ago. 9-speed steel Kett in touring mode in Ariège.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My Ribble Reynolds 653, sadly a bit to tall for me so now with it's new owner.

View attachment 564083

View attachment 564084
I rode my first Paris-Brest-Paris on a 653 Ribble. They built me a special with mudguard clearance. All the parts came off my old Dave Marsh.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Schwinn Super Sport (1966) Born a 10-speed, now a single speed with smaller front gear, so not a rocket, but fun to ride as a single speed (even up hills.) Hand braised Chrome-Moly frame, hand built in Chicago. I always loved the color. Bought this for next to nothing from the gal whose hubby died a long time ago. I would have been 10 when this bike was first brought out. I don't think I got my first 10-speed (a Peugeot UO-8) until I was 12. The previous owner had swapped the drop bars on this one and replaced with a flat, (which I like) and for some reason had removed the front large gear!(?) The original Sprint rear derailleur had totally crapped out... I had 2 diff bike mechanics try to adjust it, and when I was told it had simply had its better days a long time ago, I tossed it and made it an easy-riding single speed. I won't win races with it, but that's fine. Had to keep the downtube shifters, just as a remembrance. It's such a smooth ride. Just not my cuppa tea to ride on a regular basis since my Trek FX 7.6 Hybrid (2009) and Bianchi Ocelot hardtail (1997) mountain bike have pretty much spoiled me with gears. The main thing is for us to keep rollin' and havin' fun, right?

side view Schwinn Super Sport.jpg
front view Schwinn Super Sport.jpg

This was the last year they made this bike in what they called "violet." Please forgive the different color tires! :wacko:

1966 Schwinn brochure.jpg

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
There! That proves the world is flat.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis

Alf Webb was a local frame builder (or maybe he bought them in) near me. I bought the frame by chance from someone at work a few years ago. Had it re-enameled at Vaz, wheels built at Harry Perry in Woolwich about 15yrs ago (and still perfect), open pro on Dura ace hubs. Its a mix of 105 and Dura Ace. I've got a triple on it so it really is a do it all go anywhere bike. Rides beautifully. Thanks to @Sharky for the matching pedals!

avecReynolds531

Veteran
A late addition to this excellent thread celebrating frames that are made from metal and fire.
This is a tired 21-year-old Koga Miyata, bought as a second (third, fourth?) hand, neglected non-runner, that was missing a lot of original components.
TIG-welded, Miyata tubing - not one of the fine, earlier Japanese-made lugged framesets - but still a capable old bike, that with it's weight and 71 degree parallel frame angles, doesn't like to be hurried.
Needed a lot of tinfoil & varnish on rust patches & scratches, then a broken crank, stem, top race of the headset were recycled and replaced. Missing pedals, pannier rack, and mudguards were fitted.
The wheelset, Widek bell, and bottle cage were taken from a previous bike, then a new chain & cassette got it back on the road.
Dynamo lighting, fitted later on, helps with winter commuting.

Edit. OK, thought I was edit/deleting a 3rd image I uploaded, but instead deleted the whole original post. :rolleyes:

Two bikes:

British Eagle Touristique. 531ST. 72 degree HA. Bought new in 1992 (Edwardes). 32mm Paselas

Raleigh Record Sprint (12 1988). 74 deg HA. Built up from a frame in 2021. 28mm Paselas.

Both bikes 105 5703 10sp, with M591 9sp Deore rear mech. RRS rides really well. RRS in winter mode, has bluemels 35 with OK clearance, & second bottle cage DIY attachment.

IMG_20190901_085407912.jpg
PXL_20210417_125633876.jpg
PXL_20211214_095450558.jpg

Top Bottom