Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike-L

Most people who are looking will know that Planet X are moving from Lynskey to Van Nic. to source their Ti frames and as a consequence there have been no Pro Road Ti frames for sale for some time.

I just checked the site and they now have one, medium, for sale at £800. I'd have already bought it if the finances were in place, but theyr're not - so someone else grab a bargain - there won't ever be many Lynskey's around at this price!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXTIPRO/planet-x-ti-pro-road-frame

Garz

Squat Member
Looks like it's gone mate.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Very jealous of all of you. Planet X have big delay on the Road Ti, not sure I can wait for the summer so I'm going to look at Burls - looks similar value. Anyone got a recent one?

yes got a Burls in october 2009 - splendid frame made a very nice bike.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, here's my recently-rebuilt Raleigh 401Ti DynaTech.

bikes004.jpg

It's a steel and titanium composite frame - top and down tubes are Ti, seat tube stays and forks are steel. I bought it in '94, and it was the first decent road bike I had. The RHS gear lever boss has damaged threads, but it makes a great SS. This is my main commuting bike.

It's got the original seatpost, a Bell saddle with built-in LED light, 105 chainset with 39T ring (from Jiggerypokery of this parish), Sora brakes with Tektro 'cross levers, Shimano R500 wheels ans a 16T rear sprocket. The paint is original, and more purpley than the photo looks. Very dull light today, on account of the drizzle.

P.H

Über Member
I coveted one of those when they came out, though I was never sure of the reasoning for mixing the materials. As nobody else seems to have done it since I can't be alone in that. I suppose one explanation is it allows you to post the same bike in two Cycle Chat threads :biggrin:

Still looks a great bike.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I suspect they'd done the tooling for bonded steel frames, then some Ti tubes became available.
At the price point (£450 IIRC) it was this or a Dawes in 501 tubing.
A C+ review at the time summed it up as 'Titanium? For under £500???'

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
gallery_1831_198_20500.jpg

Mmmmm....

To be accessorised further.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
very nice SRW, and noted your huge leap in speed on your 14 mile loop...superb!!!

MacB

Here's my new Burls finally built up, well nearly still needs FD, but not done more than round the block yet:-

med_gallery_4072_201_1036596.jpg

MacB

Very very nice indeed MacB, how long did the entire project take ?

:biggrin: There were two timescales, the first being the one that Burls worked to and the second being the same with the added MacB procrastination factor. I would say you could reasonably expect a total build time of 3 months, from initial contact to completed frame or bike. I think mine was nearer 18 months but 2-3 months from when I actually signed off on the CAD drawings.

There are further tweaks to come and various parts upgrades as they wear out and funds become available. I focused what I had on frame, forks, headset and wheelset, they are what I wanted, as are bars and saddle. The rest are use what I had or secondhand, I want fancier cranks, STI's and a Thomson Elite seatpost. I may also change the stem but not until I've fully broken in the ride position.

:biggrin: There were two timescales, the first being the one that Burls worked to and the second being the same with the added MacB procrastination factor. I would say you could reasonably expect a total build time of 3 months, from initial contact to completed frame or bike. I think mine was nearer 18 months but 2-3 months from when I actually signed off on the CAD drawings.

There are further tweaks to come and various parts upgrades as they wear out and funds become available. I focused what I had on frame, forks, headset and wheelset, they are what I wanted, as are bars and saddle. The rest are use what I had or secondhand, I want fancier cranks, STI's and a Thomson Elite seatpost. I may also change the stem but not until I've fully broken in the ride position.

I've done it to a lesser extent, bought a Van Nic Yukon chose my own groupset, stem, bars already had my own wheels, picked a nice honey coloured Brooks, all in all took about 2 days :biggrin: i'm now just tweaking things to suit with the stem being first to get changed to a shorter one.

Top Bottom