Shropshire Union Canal Llangollen Branch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know if it is possible to cycle between Ellesmere and Whitchurch on the Shropshire Union Canal Llangollen Branch please?

I can't tell from my smartphone sitting on a campsite and our landline and laptop were taken out by power serges at the weekend whilst my hubby was away from home, so he can't help me with the ' pick a road bridge and look at Google drive by ' which is my normal approach. some of it looks ok from Google satellite but it's hard to tell. thanks SNSSO

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
thanks, sounds like I'm best giving it a miss. I am on an offroad touring bike but laden with tent and the likes, so shall go back to plan A. road it! had hoped for a change but don't want a fight!

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
tour is looking at its last night. home tomorrow. some aspects have been easier than expected others harder. the heat and constant sunshine are getting to me! 4 days to cycle down, 4 hot days. my day off was overcast and cool, 4 days gone and 4 very hot days. I think someone is having a joke at me expense! the battle paint (factor 50) had been out in force repeatedly. had to buy some more. :laugh:

enjoying it though, but odd feeling knowing tomorrow is the last day and then I have to deal with reality (power surges during the storms have damaged our laptop, blown the router and taken out the landline!) got some great photos though, but won't be able to do anything with them for a few days sadly :sad: laptop sounds terminal.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
tour is looking at its last night. home tomorrow. some aspects have been easier than expected others harder. the heat and constant sunshine are getting to me! 4 days to cycle down, 4 hot days. my day off was overcast and cool, 4 days gone and 4 very hot days. I think someone is having a joke at me expense! the battle paint (factor 50) had been out in force repeatedly. had to buy some more. :laugh:

enjoying it though, but odd feeling knowing tomorrow is the last day and then I have to deal with reality (power surges during the storms have damaged our laptop, blown the router and taken out the landline!) got some great photos though, but won't be able to do anything with them for a few days sadly :sad: laptop sounds terminal.
There was a lightening strike in Enderby a couple of years back that blew the top off a building and trashed more than a few computers/laptops, Insurance sorted nearly all of it, check your policy but you should be covered, :biggrin:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've not ridden the towpath in question but can offer this snapshot which shows part of that section near to Lyneal:
DSC01466.JPG

You'll notice the grass surface and the rut running down it. May be rideable in the current dry conditions but I doubt it would be much good for racking up the miles.

I'd suggest riding NCN route 455 instead (recently renumbered from route 31). Less direct but all on tarmac and not too hilly on that section.

Edit: Had better just mention that the photo is from 2013 but there was no noticeable difference when I passed tthe same spot earlier this month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I'm home. I went with the orginally plan in the end and free lanced to where I know and then simply did my 'Sunday ride' roads home. I know that in Nantwich, the canal has a really good path alongside it (hardcore/tarmac and really wide as well).... but I saw similar to @Rickshaw Phil 's photo when I crossed it a couple of times this morning.

Shame it would have been so nice to have a little less climbing on the last very hot day.... :smile:

Top Bottom