Sidewall "slash" cuts on rear tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

p.s. do i need a special tool to fit the new freewheel? I bought a new one recently (parktool fr-1.3) but it shattered when I tried to remove the old freewheel in the vice while turning the wheel :sad:

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
No, you can just screw it on. Putting force through the chain will tighten it on. One of the reasons (besides decades) the other one was stuck fast. They are invariably b*****rs to get off.
Grease, before (carefully) threading and screwing on.

presta

Guru
Yes , biggest has 28T and smallest has 14T, so I think this will work?
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...MIpPXwnZ6B_wIVGBQGAB0_EQG8EAQYAyABEgIplfD_BwE

The spacing between the sprockets is not standardised on 6 speed freewheels, so there's a possibility that it might not fit. Awkward if you don't have the means to get it off again and send it back.

How do I know? I once bought a 6 speed freewheel and found that it was too wide, and the derailleur didn't have enough travel to span the width of it, even with the H&L limit screws fully undone.

It might be worth going to a LBS and taking the old one with you for comparison.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The spacing between the sprockets is not standardised on 6 speed freewheels, so there's a possibility that it might not fit. Awkward if you don't have the means to get it off again and send it back.

How do I know? I once bought a 6 speed freewheel and found that it was too wide, and the derailleur didn't have enough travel to span the width of it, even with the H&L limit screws fully undone.

It might be worth going to a LBS and taking the old one with you for comparison.
True, but low risk that it will not fit.
Screw it on and, if concerned, gently test that the RD will shift to all sprockets on a stand with minimal force. This bike will be friction shift. The wheel's OLD will likely be 126mm: OP should/will have measured this before buying.
More here: https://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html
+1 for buying the freewheel from an LBS.
My '81 bike had a 5sp but its 126mm OLD dropouts allowed the LBS to just replace the 5sp with a 6sp block. I was grateful for the extra 3 teeth on the 28t sprocket (going from 14-25 to 14-28).
"In the 1970s,>> 6-speed freewheels:
  • "Standard" spaced 6 speeds had sprocket-to-sprocket spacing the same as the existing 5 speeds, around 5.5 mm
    Standard spaced 6-speeds required increasing the frame spacing to 126 mm, but still providing satisfactory service in most cases.
  • "Ultra Six ®" spaced 6 speeds used a closer spacing, around 5 mm. This permitted an Ultra Six ® freewheel to directly replace a standard 5-speed unit on a 120 mm hub."

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I went to the LBS, but it was shut down :sad:
It only has an online presence now. I guess there just wasn't enough footfall/sales to justify keeping the street shop, which is sad but happens to a lot of businesses.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I went to the LBS, but it was shut down :sad:
It only has an online presence now. I guess there just wasn't enough footfall/sales to justify keeping the street shop, which is sad but happens to a lot of businesses.

Where are you based?
Even the local Halfords might knock the old block off.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

The new freewheel (Halfords) fits fine....Okay the next problem I've got is that on the new wheel, the bike dropout wants to sit on this washer thing with the arrow

IMG_20230519_201858.jpg

IMG_20230519_201628.jpg
. Is it ok to move/remove it so the drop-outs can sit there?

Attachments

• IMG_20230519_201809.jpg
    IMG_20230519_201809.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

All done 👍
Didn't have any rim tape so used some insulation tape😆
Had to transfer the original wheel reflector onto the new wheel as an heirloom.🙂
Just need to adjust the brakes & get some new pedals and then bike's like brand new :smile:
IMG_20230519_223201.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
the next problem I've got is that on the new wheel, the bike dropout wants to sit on this washer thing with the arrow
Days ago I advised the OP to measure the distance between the dropouts: what is it (without wheel in there)?
Likely the wheel you've bought is a 130mm OLD which you are fitting into a 126mm OLD dropout. It's not as simple as just removing the 4mm spacer (with which @Paulus seems to acquiesce). The wheel will then fit in but the wheel will be off centre in the rear triangle (which will then mean the brakes can't be adjusted to operate effectively).
Trying to solve that by redishing will not be safe as the right hand side spokes will be at an extreme angle and the left hand spokes will be low tension and liable to actually lose tension every time they pass through 6 o'clock.
The solution is to increase the dropout distance by spreading the rear triangle apart by 2mm both sides.
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Days ago I advised the OP to measure the distance between the dropouts: what is it (without wheel in there)?
Likely the wheel you've bought is a 130mm OLD which you are fitting into a 126mm OLD dropout. It's not as simple as just removing the 4mm spacer (which @Paulus seems to acquiesce with). The wheel will then fit in but the wheel will be off centre in the rear triangle (which will then mean the brakes can't be adjusted to operate effectively).
Trying to solve that by redishing will not be safe as the right hand side spokes will be at an extreme angle and the left hand spokes will be low tension and liable to actually lose tension every time they pass through 6 o'clock.
The solution is to increase the dropout distance by spreading the rear triangle apart by 2mm both sides.
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

You're right. On the driveside of the wheel, the axle fits nicely in the drop-out, but on the non-driveside, the axle is clinging on to the drop-out for dear life 😆. Rideable, but the rear axle is on the piss.
I'll get a piece of 4x2 and prise it as per Sheldon 👍

gbb

Legendary Member
Ref the slashes on tyres, I had some Contis that did similar, it seemed to me the fabric weave was becoming delaminated, whether because of damage or poor manufacture I don't know but visually very similar. Emanating from the bead so perhaps as tyres are fitted, the rubber is getting damaged and exposing the weave...to later do this. Just a theory but ...

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Ref the slashes on tyres, I had some Contis that did similar, it seemed to me the fabric weave was becoming delaminated, whether because of damage or poor manufacture I don't know but visually very similar. Emanating from the bead so perhaps as tyres are fitted, the rubber is getting damaged and exposing the weave...to later do this. Just a theory but ...

Thanks for this.
In the end I got a wiggle own brand tyre I think, it's called Lifeline essential commuter. Looks okay quality.

Top Bottom