Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
There are some damn quick guys out there. Simon Yates and the 100%ME lot are on a different level. Then you have the Rapha Condor guys who cycle South of Manchester. I find it kind of interesting seeing their rides as I am too old to ever get close to any of them. I do like having a go at some of the Strava segments. I got to 4th on the North bound Alderley Bypass commuting home one night and thought yep not too bad, then Simon Yates came along and ended any chance of a KOM on it for a normal rider.
In terms of improving though my mate who was a Cat3 racer earlier this year looks like he is going to get to Cat1 in the next month or so and he is well into his thirties, so if you are still at uni you have plenty of time :thumbsup:

Chris, you really should have a go at racing and / or time trials. IMO you would be very close to the top of the vets section.:thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
Willhub, I love your avatar - please don't change it. I think your stats speak for themselves wrt whether or not you're a "serious cyclist". Some people* need to get over themselves.

d.

*ie the tossers who flag your rides, not 400bhp, just in case that wasn't clear.

:eek:

:ninja:

:whistle:

Completely agree, why would anyone be sad enough to flag what is a clearly genuine ride. As I said earlier, that type of thing is what Strava needs to look into sorting if it's going to be around in 5 years or so. If they don't someone else will come along and do it.

400bhp

Guru
Did you do that 1st KoM right at the start of your ride?

I'm trying to stop doing that - bloody kills me.

lejogger

Guru
Did you do that 1st KoM right at the start of your ride?

I'm trying to stop doing that - bloody kills me.
Yeah... out the door, up the hill and then segment ahoy!!

I guess as long as I keep hold of that one I can go a bit easier at the outset now which will probably stand me in better stead for the rest of the ride. I.e slow warm up has got to be better for you.

First club run since I got the Garmin tomorrow. That should be interesting! Can't imagine how many segments will be on the list when I upload!

lejogger

Guru
We need a "top 100 list of excuses for not achieving a KoM":whistle:
Haha, ok...

For my ride today these are the actual genuine reasons:
1 Pizza :hungry:
2 Wine :cheers:
3 Too many episodes of 24 till the early hours :gun:
4 Full back and chest wax after work last night (don't ask!) :stop:
5 Headwind (I can't believe there isn't a headwind smiley!)

Excuses cont'd.
There's loads of pro's in my area
The KOM's are guys riding in a bunch
I didn't have the carbon
The climb came too early
The climb came too late
Trying to get every segment on the way to a climb
I didn't know I was in a segment......
F@@@ing traffic lights hate me

Top Bottom