Sir Alan.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chuffy

Veteran
beanzontoast said:
He wouldn't want me working for him. Reckon I'd last about an hour before I couldn't take it any longer and told him what I thought of him!
Ah yes, that 'straight talking, no nonsense' thing only ever works one way...

A

another_dave_b

There's an article about Alan Sugar and his cycling in The Mail.

At first Sir Alan rode an unsporty, upright hybrid bike along the coastal pathways near his home in Florida. He got to the point when he was doing 40 miles every other day, but Sir Alan being 'Srlan', he soon began feeling competitive when riders on lighter, drop-handlebar road bikes flew past him. 'They would say, "Passing by left. Have a nice day." I thought, "Sod all that have a nice day stuff." I wanted a faster bike.

'So a shop in Boca Raton measured me up for the latest Pinarello

Will1985

Über Member
Nice picture - the man has some taste. Not sure about the Valverde colourscheme though.

And a 59t chainring in Florida :laugh:

Dayvo

just passin' through
That was a very good article! He came across very well. Wonder if he's on here! :laugh:

He's just the same as us! :tongue:

[Sir Alan has three hand-made Italian carbon frame Pinarello bikes he bought to keep in each of his homes in England, Florida and Spain. Then he couldn't bear to part with them, so they are parked in the hall of his Essex home.]

Respect!

[It comes with a massive 59-tooth chainring at the front]

Will1985

Über Member
Dayvo said:
Oh, and Keith won't like it! AS wears black socks! :laugh:
And team kit - that'll bring out a few more critics...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
Only if I can push him off. Amstrad were crap.
Amstrad made the first affordable computer that worked. All other manufacturers had to raise their game, almost entirely thanks to Amstrad. Almost everything else they made was crap, but affordable computing was almost entirely an Amstrad innovation, and that made a massive difference to a whole generation.

PaulB

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
That is one ugly colour scheme on his Pinarello.

Shurley shome mishtake? That's the pinnacle (sorry) of bicycles that is.

Anyway, I used to despise that ignorant cockerney wide-boy but that article's changed my mind. I remember being told once that when he was involved with Spurs and White Hart Lane needed upgrading, referring to Nick Barmby, he said "Barnaby; we'll flog 'im and there's the new stand"!

Will1985

Über Member
There are going to be lots of cyclists lying in wait around south Essex so they can burn past him :rolleyes:

I wonder what would he think of getting if a load of roadies kept passing him at 20mph+ ?

Mr Pig

vernon said:
Amstrad hi fi stuff was great value for money...

No it wasn't, it was terrible! At that time the lower end of the market was dominated by 'music centres' and proper Hi-Fi systems came in separate boxes. Amstrad just made a plastic music centre shaped like a separates system and lied to their customers about what it was. Because they spent the money making it look like a Hi-Fi it was actually poorer built than most music centres and sound worse, it wasn't Hi-Fi to save its life!

Unfortunately what happened was very significant. They sold truck loads of them! This was an awful turning point as manufactureres then realised that many buyers didn't give a stuff about what the kit actually sounded like but bought on image. Hi-Fi has never recovered. It's virtually impossible to buy 'real' Hi-Fi on the high street these days, you used to be able to get it from the catalog...

Top Bottom