Slip sliding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Here in Doncaster we've not had any real rain for well over a week. The result is the most slippy slidey greasy roads I've ever ridden on. Thank gawd I'm on 3 wheels. This week I've locked the front, slid out the back, and yesterday I did a 5 pedal 'burnout' from the traffic lights before I got traction (though maybe that's down to my awesome leg power);)

I've also seen 3 cars losing front end traction on a mini roundabout where I came off a couple of years ago on the road bike. I think the conditions are worse than when there's snow on the ground....at least with snow you know it's there. Let's be careful out there.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
The roads around here were like that the other night, I ended up doing a speedway like power slide around a round about.
Felt like I was riding a boat for the rest of the ride.

I think some councils have started gritting the roads and that salt is helping the oils and diesel etc... Stick to the roads in this slidy paste.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Luckily I've not had too many sliding moments with the mountain bike. But I agree I can see difference between the damp greasy main roads & the dry backroads.

donnydave

Über Member
Similar story here in Cambridge for me, I said hello to the road the other morning and was almost off again today, turned the bars just as I came to a stop and the front wheel let go, I had just put a foot down though so stayed upright. Lost a bit of confidence but its reminded me to pay more attention to the road surface and in the last few days I've also noticed loads of rainbow coloured patches of diesel/oil on my journey that previously I was blissfully unaware of

donnydave

Über Member
I'm on gatorskins, 25mm was ok last winter but I'm on 23s at the moment and so far they are a bit sketchy, I think I might remove them and save them for next summer

RhysB

Took out my new carbon the other week with vittoria rubino pros on it, I went down on a roundabout not going fast. My little bro on my alu bike with gatorskins was ok, until he ran me over and fell off that was. Bit apprehensive of going out with the rubinos again now

Here in Canada I am just on the outskirts of a winter storm. We did not get the 2 feet of snow that other people had to deal with, just 4 cm of very dry snow. I am running continental top contact winter II tyres, the grip is excellent very much better than the studded commuters I was previously using. So much lighter and quieter, and now I can actually use my front brakes. (It is currently -21 C , -31 with the wind and I am still getting excellent grip)

I am running a Scott commuter bike with internal gears and a gates carbon drive, quiet and no issues so far.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Here in Canada I am just on the outskirts of a winter storm. We did not get the 2 feet of snow that other people had to deal with, just 4 cm of very dry snow. I am running continental top contact winter II tyres, the grip is excellent very much better than the studded commuters I was previously using. So much lighter and quieter, and now I can actually use my front brakes. (It is currently -21 C , -31 with the wind and I am still getting excellent grip)

I am running a Scott commuter bike with internal gears and a gates carbon drive, quiet and no issues so far.

I don't know whether to be in awe of you or just think of you as a complete nutter.

DWiggy

Über Member
Very slippery down here especially going up hill (wheel spins out of the saddle) thought this was down to my mew rear tyre, well hope if rains (during the night)

Schneil

Veteran
Conti 4 Seasons - that's what you need.^_^

Lots of leaf mulch up here though, and that's entertaining.
What's the difference on gatorskins v 4 season.
Are the 4 seasons softer rubber? So less hard wearing?
I'm currently running 25 width gatorskin hardshells. No punctures bit a bit slippy in the winter!

mangid

Guru
Been slippery round Cambridge, really been taking some corners very slowly.

Can confirm that Gatorskins can feel very insecure. I know my back wheel has a tendency to spin any time I tackle an uphill with some ghusto at this time of the year, and they tend to 'fall off' small ridges giving a feeling of slipping, as well as actually slipping in corners. Looking forward to spring and putting Pro 4's on.

Better the devil you know in some ways though

Top Bottom