Slow starting Xp drive in 'second drive' config

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As an experiment (and to prevent messing up the MBR on my Xp drive) I swapped its cable to secondary drive and installed Ubuntu on my primary hard drive, letting grub2 reside on it. The advantage of this is that to change linux distro now is a cinch; just install the new distro over the old one on the primary drive making sure the grub partition goes on there too, leaving the Xp drive totally unaffected. And if ever I want to have the Xp drive back as primary, I just need to format the linux drive and swap the cables over again.

At boot, the linux drive obviously now presents as first option in the grub list, with the Xp drive below it. This is fine.

However, the Xp drive - initally happy with the new arrangement - has become slow to boot in the last few days. I haven't added any new software to it since rearranging the drives. Am I looking at an issue with the Xp drive itself (Have derfragged, run CCleaner, Malwarebytes ect - all clean) , or has the swapping caused this to emerge?

I suppose I could unhook the linux drive and try the Xp on back in primary to see how it boots - bit of a faff as I've put the base back in it's not-easy-to-get-to slot in the office now. Just wondered if anyone has thoughts on this before I do try this.

Top Bottom