Soaps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
rich p said:
How can you get wound up to expletive levels by something you haven't watched for 20 years?
You already have the solution which is to not watch it, or have I missed your point?

Have a look at scheduling, and the intros..." and now over to Albert Square.."

Makes me retch

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Noodley said:
A programme about a tent...

I asked for that..:sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
gavintc said:
I cannot even stand the Archers. No soaps in this house - ever.

Well, excuse me. That's my family you're talking about. (To the extent of my Mum having been born a Grundy!)

I follow the Archers, and Eastenders, although it doesn't matter if I miss an episode or two, I catch up later. I'm always doing something elseat the same time (eating or washing up to the Archers), knitting or uke strumming to Eastenders, so I'm hardly wasting time.

Sure, they could show other stuff instead. Like they could show other stuff instead of football or snooker or golf. Each to their own...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The Style Council once had a song called "Life at a top people's health farm", which included the lyrics:
"I'm laying back with the radio on in time to hear 'the Archers'
An everyday tale of country folk mixed up in prostitution"

...just thought I'd add that for no apparent reason.

tyred

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
. No soaps in this house - ever.

What do you wash your hands with?

Blackandblue

My wife watches a host of them; 'stenders, 'bours, home and away and god knowa what else. I think the only one she doesn't watch is Corrie.

I was never into them at Uni when it seemed to be quite popular with other students. We used to have Corrie on at home - but I maintain it was more "real" and interesting back then.

So, although I don't watch them, I am exposed to them and the worst by a long chalk is Eastenders. I can't bear being in the same room when it is on. It is a parody of itself. Nobody talks at normal volume unless it is a menacing whisper in gruff tones (and that's just the women). How can anyone enjoy watching so much anger, jealousy, malevolence, in fact all of the worst possible attributes of the human character exhibited by so many people in such a condensed amount of time?

I truly believe it is influential. I appreciate there is a bit of chicken and egg about these things. However the frequency with which these socially unacceptable behaviours are displayed on television - often in a manner that, if not lauding them, is certainly not discouraging them - at the very least numbs people's tolerance of such behaviours.

Then again there is the question of censorship....

tyred

Legendary Member
I can put up with Corrie but Eastenders is quite possibly the most depressing programme known to man. Why can't they inject a little humour and lightheartedness into sometimes?

Top Bottom