Social Media Platforms - People posting about mobile speed cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have a major bugbear, people posting on social media platforms for the local area the location of the police with a mobile speed camera.

It annoys the **** out of me. I do my best to counter it by first asking why they feel the need to share this information and secondly I usually say it has gone, by way of a ha ha.

Any thoughts.

Never seen it happen. Speed traps seem so infrequent around here that I doubt it's if any use unless you're checking social media every hour.

You could start posting fake sites yourself if you want to see if it slows anyone down.

They used to publish weekly the locations of the mobiles here too (Essex) but a quick Google shows the last time it was in the media was about 10 years ago.

Back then maybe the pretext was still that it was better to prevent rather than cure...

Joffey

Big Dosser
I have a major bugbear, people posting on social media platforms for the local area the location of the police with a mobile speed camera.

It annoys the **** out of me. I do my best to counter it by first asking why they feel the need to share this information and secondly I usually say it has gone, by way of a ha ha.

Any thoughts.

I agree - it annoys me too.

The only two locations I've seen traps in the past few years have been 30 zones in residential areas after 50mph roads.
Makes perfect sense to me. I'm all for speed traps.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The only two locations I've seen traps in the past few years have been 30 zones in residential areas after 50mph roads.
Makes perfect sense to me. I'm all for speed traps.

Sounds like they're getting it right round your way - conversely I only ever seem to see them in questionable locations. One favourite is coming out of a 50 zone into a 60 - clocking traffic that's heading away from the junction that's presumably the reason it's a 50 limit in the first place.

I'd welcome some on the main road in my village which routinely sees drivers entering / continuing to hammer through the village at well in excess of the 30 limit.

Jody

Stubborn git

Any thoughts.

The police put this information up before the vans are even there, giving about 2 weeks notice. Both on socials and the local papers

It's hardly a secret

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Any thoughts.
Just reply saying that it's moved and is now at some nearby location where cyclists have trouble with speeding motorists (something like a junction where cyclists often want to cross - but don't mention the cyclists, or make it too obvious like where a rail trail crosses the road).

This seems like a win-win to me: some fools might get caught where the camera really is, and it might reduce the trouble for cyclists at the other location.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Since IME the placement of mobile speed cameras seems to be motivated exclusively by the number of NIPs they can yield rather than a desire to improve road safety; I have no problem with their locations being called out.
Around here, it seems more motivated by having somewhere they can park their van easily and somewhere to stand with a clear view of a long enough bit of road but a low chance of being squashed by overrunning vehicles. So it's usually a certain bus stop on a long straight, and not the crash-prone staggered crossroads (which finally got a fixed camera this year) or the junction/driveway-heavy bends near the river bridge.

Top Bottom