Solution to truck deaths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Given that the right equipment is already there, but the reluctance to fit it prevents is use. Compulsory fitting of them is meeting with a similar reluctance.
What do you suggest now?
A law which would ban HGVs from our roads unless this and other safety features are fitted. Sit-up-and-take-notice fines for those who break it.

classic33

Leg End Member
2818749 said:
You seem to be suggesting that people have to agree to be compelled to do something.
Suggest something else then. Bearing in mind that we as cyclists put very litte back into the coffers, no VED or fuel duty. We also carry little more than ourselves on our bikes. We, as cyclists, have less of a voice in this argument. So!

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, by some. But what's your point?
From both sides, the arguments are nearly the same. They would prefer if we as cyclists under some mandatory training & that we be seperated from the main flow of traffic. Also that some routes should be cycle free. #
Hasn't the same arguments been made for truck drivers & fleet owners, on here?

RedRider

Pulling through
From both sides, the arguments are nearly the same. They would prefer if we as cyclists under some mandatory training & that we be seperated from the main flow of traffic. Also that some routes should be cycle free. #
Hasn't the same arguments been made for truck drivers & fleet owners, on here?
Of course. People disagree about all sorts. It's a battlefield!

classic33

Leg End Member
2818770 said:
What a load of nonsense.
How much in fuel duty did you pay in the last year then. As a cyclist?
We have to realise that money talks better than either the written or spoken word.

classic33

Leg End Member
Complete the following. Its viewed from the industry side of things, but you can still affect the outcome. The more cyclists that answer the better the chance of getting something done.
www.commercialmotor.com/truckingbritain

2818795 said:
This is all utterly irrelevant.To demonstrate this, do HGV operators buy more rights than owners of the more fuel efficient vehicles that equally pay no VED and much less fuel taxes etc?
That part was never said by me. We have less chance of being heard, because we are seen as not contributing anything, when compared to HGV's/LGV's.
How much did you pay in fuel duty last year, as a cyclist, though. Simple enough question.
As I said money talks

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think there is one. The Berlin Wall fell, apartheid South Africa crumbled. It's not a great leap for lorries to wear skirts.
http://brigade.rb-test.co.uk/whats-new/safety-devices-vital-to-prevent-cyclist-fatalities
And closer to home, we have an 800 year old problem of a similar nature to those you mention. Whats your point. Keep on long enough & something will happen?
"171 people were killed or died attempting to escape at the Berlin Wall between August 13, 1961 and November 9, 1989."

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Legislation is the only way this could be implemented. But it would need to be EU legislation. Even then it would probably only apply to new vehicles as trying to do retrospectively would be a massive undertaking.

Steve

Ganymede

Veteran
Complete the following. Its viewed from the industry side of things, but you can still affect the outcome. The more cyclists that answer the better the chance of getting something done.
www.commercialmotor.com/truckingbritain

I tried filling this out but it's aimed at truck operators so it's really impossible to fill in without making up your own trucking company. Even as a small business owner I couldn't make it fit.

That part was never said by me. We have less chance of being heard, because we are seen as not contributing anything, when compared to HGV's/LGV's.
How much did you pay in fuel duty last year, as a cyclist, though. Simple enough question.
As I said money talks

I'd like to think votes count too, though I'm afraid you have a point about more taxes equalling more influence. But cyclists are in a minority of voters too. Pedestrians... well, there are quite a lot of them, but they're (we're) not organised.

Top Bottom