Somalia "Help me" scam phone call.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
People are getting calls in the US/Canada & Australia.

American report has it showing as charging from the moment its answered..
Call(s) anything like this one?
When I let some leave a voice mail, the voice is:
- in Somali or Arabic
- male
- often frantic and/or pissed off (see my "auto-answering with squeal" above
- the same person every time. For a year. From different numbers.
- I hear children in the background

On a few occasions I have tried to call, 90% of the time it has resulted in continual ringing with no answer. On the 10% where someone answered, or if I answered the phone myself, the man on the other end of the line got increasingly agitated that I didn't speak the language, and started to scream at me louder in Samali or Arabic. (Kinda like American tourists in, say, France :smile: )

While these were amusing calls in the beginning, the fact that they are increasing in frequency, the numbers are changing, AND its the same person has started to get me more and more concerned..."

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ask them for their bank account number and PIN. Assure them that monetary help is on its way. Publish their bank details on FB or Twatter.

Or.. keep a whistle by the phone and ask them to listen carefully to what you are about to say ;)

Or.. Ignore any call to your mobile that you don't know and purchase a BT8500 that screens calls (best landline phone I've ever had!)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have one of those too! Not one PPI or "We are calling you back about your injury..." phone call since installation.

In fact, I get a sense of smugness when I check how many call have been blocked.
If Carlsberg invented phones....

We get so few phone calls now that we feel lonely and unwanted... :cry:

:dance:

classic33

Leg End Member
Idea of the typical cost of answering a call from this sort of number
"Cost me US$ 0.80 for 39 seconds, which is for Skype very expensive, considering that landline numbers over Skype usually cost US$ 0.02 per minute to most countries around the world."

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
In the UK, if it starts with + and anything other than 44 it is an international call. If you're not expecting international calls, don't answer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is the reason why I don't show my mobile number on my business card, which I hand out to people all over Africa. Only people with whom I have business get the number.

zee90

Thanks for the head up! Seems like they dialed random number. But the question is, how did they get the number? If the number had been exposed, I'm afraid they will be another coming in. This is the main reason why I normally don't picked up an anonymous call. Most of them are from telemarketer, which I hate the most. So when I received phone call from the number I didn't recognized, I'd check it in callercenter to see if the number associated with any illegal calling before. If it didn't then I'll pick it up. Since I've already missed a few call from my bank and service provider.

Last edited:

SD1

@classic33

It was +252634240683

They called 6 times in about 15 minutes, at first we asked where they were, and who they were. Sometimes we said nothing. they always jut said "Help me". I don't think it was a recording, just someone saying help me everytime.
If you answer it cost you nothing. It only costs if you ring back? Am I right?

SD1

If Carlsberg invented phones....

We get so few phone calls now that we feel lonely and unwanted... :cry:

:dance:
I have never had one.....I feel lonely and unwanted! No I regularly get a nuisance call from the landlord asking me to pay my tab. Other than that I don't get any!

Top Bottom