Son's school run, hack bike stolen :-( RECOVERED :-) Mix & matched :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps we could all raid our Boxes O' Sh**e and between us could send you enough components to knock up a replacement?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Aren't schools supposed to be secure to keep out Jimmy Savile and Anders Brevik type loons?

It's sad that the bike has gone, but a worrying reflection of the security of the children at the establishment.
I don't think the school should be fenced in like a prison. Security should be passive, not intrusive. Putting a bike rack at the back of a sports hall surrounded by trees and within yards of an entrance is madness. Putting it in the centre of the campus overlooked by the surrounding classrooms and passing staff/pupils is worth 10x the value of a hundred Kryptonite locks. Besides, this is a single sex secondary school, they are predominantly big lads who are getting ready to flex their newly developed testosterone charged muscles. I don't think they need the kind of protection offered by a fence, they need role models and mentors to teach them of the dangers.

Might as well be a sign saying Free Bikes.
I have emailed the school to point out the above (but not quite so bluntly) and offering my assistance in suggesting a better spot should they want it.

Perhaps we could all raid our Boxes O' Sh**e and between us could send you enough components to knock up a replacement?
Thanks for the offer but I think we may already have a line on a replacement bike courtesy of a fellow Cyclechatter. It's a hybrid with mudguards and just needs tyres and a bit of fettling. Jnr pulled his face and said he didn't want a hybrid so I guess that makes it perfect :laugh: (and it's free!)

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
UPDATE:
New bike arrived and spent some time fettling with bits out of the spares bin....
upload_2015-11-11_10-7-7.png

BUT, the big development came this morning. Shortly after setting off for school on foot Jnr rang me to report excitedly that he had just seen the stolen bike. It was ridden past him in the opposite direction by a kid/guy in a black hoodie!!! I jumped in the car and drove quickly towards the area it was heading but with no luck. I have just finished visiting all the school/colleges in the area the bike was heading but after checking all the railings and bike racks have had no luck. Tomorrow I am on stake out duties at the location where he spotted his bike this morning....... :ph34r: :ninja:

The game is afoot.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Good luck @I like Skol I hope you get it back.
Bonkers riding the bike around the area it was nicked from, unless the guy riding it bought it from someone else and doesn't know it's nicked. He's in for a bit of a shock, if that's the case.

Have you had any luck speaking to the school about their hopeless bike shed security?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's back home after I confronted two males and a female travelling through Stalybridge town centre at 7.30 tonight.

upload_2015-11-13_20-14-57.png

Not all good news though. The bike has been pillaged for the bits that I wanted back the most, in particular the Shimano Deore M615 disc brakes and the wheels. The scumbags have swapped the wheels for a set that has some broken spokes and replaced the brakes with Tekro Novella cable operated calipers. To rub salt in the wound because I routed the hydraulic hoses through the cable guides they have cracked the guides off rather than splitting/cutting the hoses. It really stings!

upload_2015-11-13_20-22-50.png

At least the low lifes have been deprived of the bike but I guess the parts I have are also from another stolen bike?

A muted 'well done' but have the police been informed?

Top Bottom