Spa cycles Harrogate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I've bought little stuff from them over the years and last December (so very recently), I bought a bike from them - steel Rove 10 speed - I gave them a "wishlist" of components and they gave a suggested spec which was tweaked slightly and agreed upon. A couple of conversations were had about parts availability and alternatives. It's quite unlike the "default" listed version.

I was very happy with the customer service and with the bike:
P1020292.JPG

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Here it is, it arrived today. I think it looks pretty good….
78C670DC-8BAE-4A21-913F-D9A4124B16DF.jpeg

postman

Legendary Member
So it has left the rare and genteel acres of North Yorkshire and Betty's Tea Rooms. Now abiding in the rugged lands of Fifi.I hope it does not get home sick.Nice bicycle enjoy many miles of fun.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
My only gripe is, I was told it could take 28mm tyres with mud guards, but I doubt 28mm would fit, it has 25mm on with the mudguards and it’s pretty close.

Julia9054

Guru
I've only been in to Spa Cycles once (despite living on the doorstep) and was rather underwhelmed with their unhelpful attitude. My bike needed a complete refurb and, since my usual LBS had closed down, I went into Spa to be met with a flat "no, we only do our own bikes"
I asked if they could recommend anyone and got a flat no.
Decided to push it and not leave and eventually the manager went out back and came back with one of their mechanics who works there part time and does his own projects the rest of the time. He's made a lovely job of my bike and I couldn't be happier but have no idea why it took 10 minutes of me not leaving before they passed me on to him. If my bike is not their sort of job then it's no skin off their nose to pass me on to someone else.

geocycle

Legendary Member
My only gripe is, I was told it could take 28mm tyres with mud guards, but I doubt 28mm would fit, it has 25mm on with the mudguards and it’s pretty close.
The clearances on your Sabbath look very similar to my Spa audax. It is also supposed to take 28 mm with mudguards. To be fair it does, just. I can run 28mm Schwalbe pro one tubeless whereas the same size in Schwalbe one were too close. It’s happier with 25 mm at least on the back and the difference in ride quality is not Very big Having run the more generously shod Spa elan over the winter I plan to dust off the audax over the drier months. Who knows, I might even become trendy and take the mudguards off!

Mike_P

Guru
I've only been in to Spa Cycles once (despite living on the doorstep) and was rather underwhelmed with their unhelpful attitude. My bike needed a complete refurb and, since my usual LBS had closed down, I went into Spa to be met with a flat "no, we only do our own bikes"
I asked if they could recommend anyone and got a flat no.
Decided to push it and not leave and eventually the manager went out back and came back with one of their mechanics who works there part time and does his own projects the rest of the time. He's made a lovely job of my bike and I couldn't be happier but have no idea why it took 10 minutes of me not leaving before they passed me on to him. If my bike is not their sort of job then it's no skin off their nose to pass me on to someone else.

I find Chevin are usually very helpful. Charges are quite reasonable IME. In the mists of lock down one of their staff came outside to assist with getting a quick link to fit, it definitely wasn't quick and a couple had gone flying never to be seen again. Completely oily hands they let me into the store to use the facilities to wash them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The clearances on your Sabbath look very similar to my Spa audax. It is also supposed to take 28 mm with mudguards. To be fair it does, just. I can run 28mm Schwalbe pro one tubeless whereas the same size in Schwalbe one were too close. It’s happier with 25 mm at least on the back and the difference in ride quality is not Very big Having run the more generously shod Spa elan over the winter I plan to dust off the audax over the drier months. Who knows, I might even become trendy and take the mudguards off!

I'm running 28s (and mudguards) on my Spa Steel Audax. They do fit but on mucky winter days I often have to stop and de-gunk the font mudguard as it gets clogged.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran

Thanks for your feedback. Good to know you can get a 28mm to fit and that the ride quality is fairly insignificant from what you said. It’s not a huge issue, but it would be good to have the option. The problem is though, I wouldn’t want to buy a pair of 28mm to try them if as you say, a particular brand don’t fit.

ren531

Über Member
Thanks for your feedback. Good to know you can get a 28mm to fit and that the ride quality is fairly insignificant from what you said. It’s not a huge issue, but it would be good to have the option. The problem is though, I wouldn’t want to buy a pair of 28mm to try them if as you say, a particular brand don’t fit.

I did have 28mm shwalbe marathons and mudguards on my Audax Mono but really wanted to try 32mm so took the mudguards off and liked it so decided to modify/butcher , depending on your view point, the mudguards and it works, looks fine from a distance close scrutiny maybe not so and because it's the Mono version when the chain tension requires the wheel to be forwards it does catch, would work better with 30mm tyres.

Top Bottom