Specialized Recall notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Specialized Recall notice

Specialized have issued a recall on several of their lines

If you do own one of these bikes, Specialized have asked that you stop riding immediately and contact the retailer where you purchased the bike.

2011 SIRRUS COMP
2011 VITA COMP
2011 TRICROSS
2011 SIRRUS EXPERT
2011 VITA EXPERT
2011 TRICROSS COMP
2011 SIRRUS ELITE
2011 VITA ELITE
2011 TRICROSS SPORT

Specialized have received reports from the field that brake bosses on carbon forks (manufactured by Advanced Group), fitted to the above mentioned models of 2011 Sirrus, Vita and Tricross bicycles, could come loose and disengage from the fork.

Whilst the number reported is very small Specialized wishes to make sure no further failures occur.

Therefore, if your bicycle is affected, please stop riding immediately and contact the Specialized retailer where you purchased the bicycle. They will be able to advise you on how to proceed further with this notice.

This recall is being conducted in cooperation with UK Trading Standards.

If you have any further questions please contact Specialized on 020 8391 3502

Or visit their website at www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/home.jsp

Nebulous

Guru
If I'm reading this correctly, I think they may well find the problem is bigger than that.

I have a 2010 allez and have had a problem with both front and back brakes coming loose.

Norm

If I'm reading this correctly, I think they may well find the problem is bigger than that.

I have a 2010 allez and have had a problem with both front and back brakes coming loose.
I'd recommend getting it properly checked out, but I'd also say that claiming to have issues when your bike, model year and even brakes aren't covered by the recall could be seen as scaremongering.

PpPete

Legendary Member
AFAIK the Allez has dual caliper brakes - so would not be subject to the kind of problem that models equipped with V brakes would have?

s_casey99

Regular
I've been in contact with Specialized over this as I bought a Sirrus recently. The problems have been spotted at PDI so if your bike hasn't had any problems you shouldn't have a problem.

Better to be safe than sorry though so I'd suggest taking the bike back to your dealer and getting the forks replaced.

Nebulous

Guru
I'd recommend getting it properly checked out, but I'd also say that claiming to have issues when your bike, model year and even brakes aren't covered by the recall could be seen as scaremongering.

Don't think it's the same thing at all - if as someone else said the recall is for V brakes.

Bike has been and is great - but both front and back brakes came loose. When back one came loose I didn't have an Allen key and didn't have any easy means of recovery, so I carried on and pretty much wore out a brake pad and rubbbed the paint off the rim.

I replaced the pads and added tightening the bolt to my list of regular maintenance and it has been fine since.

s_casey99

Regular
Also,

Specialized will offer you £20 to spend on Specialized goods in compensation.
So a nice little saddle bag or bottle cage in compensation of the fact they can't be absolutely sure that the front brake isn't going to come off your bike whilst coming down a hill.
Nice.

2pies

Veteran
I have the Tricross. Haven't had any problems personally but I remember someone in a random bike shop telling me about this. I assumed he was just trying to scare me away from buying a Spec. as that shop didn't sell them.

I'm taking the bike back to the LBS for its free 3 month check-up this weekend and will mention it to them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Don't think it's the same thing at all - if as someone else said the recall is for V brakes.

Bike has been and is great - but both front and back brakes came loose. When back one came loose I didn't have an Allen key and didn't have any easy means of recovery, so I carried on and pretty much wore out a brake pad and rubbbed the paint off the rim.

I replaced the pads and added tightening the bolt to my list of regular maintenance and it has been fine since.

Believe it or not, the tightness on bolts on bicycles need to be checked periodically and re-torqued if required. Shame you had to learn the hard way :tongue:

eml1909

Don't just settle for a £10 or £20 voucher. WHat Specialized (and their retailers) are not advertising is that, instead of a voucher and new forks, they will also offer you either (i) a voucher for the price you paid for your bike plus 10%, which can be redeemed against any Specialized bike, or (ii) a like-for-like replacement bike or (iii) your money back.

I know someone who has just been offered a brand new 2012 version of his existing bike in return for the "faulty" one.

Now *that's* a result!!! What a jammy so-and-so ....

gillelive

Don't just settle for a £10 or £20 voucher. WHat Specialized (and their retailers) are not advertising is that, instead of a voucher and new forks, they will also offer you either (i) a voucher for the price you paid for your bike plus 10%, which can be redeemed against any Specialized bike, or (ii) a like-for-like replacement bike or (iii) your money back.

I know someone who has just been offered a brand new 2012 version of his existing bike in return for the "faulty" one.

Now *that's* a result!!! What a jammy so-and-so ....

My 2011 Sirrus comp is in the lbs for new forks, been in for nearly 2 weeks waiting for the carbon forks to be delivered. Anyway due to pick it up on Saturday. There is no mention of vouchers or money back so what do I do? Is there any paperwork or web links that I can refer to that states what Spec and their retailers will offer? I don't want to look a tit in the shop asking for something that's not on offer....cheers

eml1909

My 2011 Sirrus comp is in the lbs for new forks, been in for nearly 2 weeks waiting for the carbon forks to be delivered. Anyway due to pick it up on Saturday. There is no mention of vouchers or money back so what do I do? Is there any paperwork or web links that I can refer to that states what Spec and their retailers will offer? I don't want to look a tit in the shop asking for something that's not on offer....cheers

Tell your retailer that you have changed your mind and that you would prefer to take one of the other options being offered by Specialized. (You don't need to give any reason at all, but you could say that you do not want the new forks because they are not an exact match for your old forks and you have also lost confidence in the safety of the bike).

Tell them that Specialized are offering either a voucher for the value you paid plus 10% (to be redeemed against any Specialized bike) or a like-for-like swap.

Tell them to check with Specialized if they are not aware of this.

Top Bottom