Specialized Roubaix SL3 - worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I am looking to upgrade the bike and I quite like the idea of something a tad more relaxed, Di2 thrown in, got to be carbon, good wheels etc. Found a Roubaix SL3 at £2k.

Am I being tight, but is £2k a bit steep? Lots of them machines come into range at that level. Love the look of this bike, but is it worth £2k? If not, what do you think is a fair offer?
image.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nice looking bike notwithstanding the monstrosity the saddle is attached to.

Worth it? If you like how it looks and if it is right for your needs then yes.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I have a 2010 Roubaix Pro Dura Ace. It is really light and the most comfortable and smoothest ride ever. I would highly recommend.

As a Roubaix owner yourself, and me never having ridden one I hope you can answer a question I have.
Surely the zert inserts introduce a degree of flex that is the enemy of climbing, don't they? Do they just remove the vibrations or can you feel flex in the frame?

DRHysted

Guru
As a Roubaix owner yourself, and me never having ridden one I hope you can answer a question I have.
Surely the zert inserts introduce a degree of flex that is the enemy of climbing, don't they? Do they just remove the vibrations or can you feel flex in the frame?
I can feel no flex in the frame on my Roubaix SL4 disc.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Although i'm a fan of bright coloured and/or high viz cycle clothing i do like a graphite/grey/silver bike! I'm not too keen on the decals being nearly the same colour as the bike though, as folk seem to strain their eyes as you pass by, trying to make out the manufacturer of the bike. A nice looking bike but i'm not too sure about the yellow bits on the wheels and the red dust caps!:okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Nope. The Zerts are not large enough to induce any frame flex, but do a good job of dampening road buzz.

Nope. The Zerts are not large enough to induce any frame flex, but do a good job of dampening road buzz.

How do they do that? By which I mean, by what method and what is the actual difference, all other variables being equal? And how is it measured considering you can't get an otherwise identical bike *without* the zertz insets to compare against./bb

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How do they do that? By which I mean, by what method and what is the actual difference, all other variables being equal? And how is it measured considering you can't get an otherwise identical bike *without* the zertz insets to compare against./bb

At the end of the day and thinking about it, it's probably more to do with the frame and it's build rather then the Zerts. They are just small plastic inserts. Whether they do actually help much in dampening is a mute point imo.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There is no flex at all, the frame is super stiff especially around the bottom bracket so excellent power transfer. The front fork and rear stay Zert insert simply enable a smoother ride. It's hard to describe but there is no road 'buzz', it's like riding on the smoothes Tarmac roads even when the Tarmac isn't so smooth.

There is no flex at all, the frame is super stiff especially around the bottom bracket so excellent power transfer. The front fork and rear stay Zert insert simply enable a smoother ride. It's hard to describe but there is no road 'buzz', it's like riding on the smoothes Tarmac roads even when the Tarmac isn't so smooth.

I wasn't asking for anyone to describe *what* Zertz do, but *how* they do it! I just don't see how they could offer any serious advantage and also I can't see how I could test their effectiveness against an identical frame without Zertz in it, because they don't exist. bb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I wasn't asking for anyone to describe *what* Zertz do, but *how* they do it! I just don't see how they could offer any serious advantage and also I can't see how I could test their effectiveness against an identical frame without Zertz in it, because they don't exist. bb
I'm sorry, I was replying to the question from Heisenberg71.
I'm not sure how the zerts inserts work, I'm sure you can find an explanation from Specialized online. What I can say is that it test road both a Specialized Tarmac and Roubaix at the time of purchase, the carbon lay up was the same and apart from the longer head tube the geometry very similar. Both bikes were excellent but the Roubaix was a noticeably smoother ride which can only be due to the Zerts inserts. There will be no advantage in performance but a definite advantage in comfort.

Top Bottom