Specialized Ruby Elite stolen in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Recently at the end of January got my Ruby Elite for racing and commuting to work. Got some nice Time pedals and finally managed to get my set up near perfect..ish.

Well today my bike was stolen outside whilst I was in a meeting for work despite it being locked up with several locks.

Am absolutely gutted but if anyone sees a 2008 blue Specialized Ruby Elite pop up on gumtree/ebay - please post a message.

In the meantime, got to go through the insurance crap...

Thanks all

:biggrin:

Tharg2007

Veteran
bad luck dude.
What locks did you have and how did they get past them. Would be good to know for the rest of us who might use the same security devices.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks mate.

Abus city chain plus -gold standard- couple of cable wires; one for seat specific and another d -lock which I can't remember the make of.

These guys were professionals; wasn't gone for long and all that was left apart from the bike stand was a severed cable. They knew what they were looking for as the other bikes parked up there were left alone.

Tharg2007

Veteran
how did they break the locks? did they use bolt cutters for the abus? how about the ulock, was that levered or bent?

did they take the abus with them?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Everything was taken except remnants of a cable lock for the front wheel (as well as d-lock!!); assume they must have had quite a bit of tools with them to get through the abus and d-lock. Hence professional bike thieves.

Tharg2007

Veteran
seems strange they would take the locks with them. was whatever you had it chained to still intact? im thinking maybe they bust railings or something and taking bike with locks still on to tackle later.
Do abus offer compo if their locks have been compromised?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Unfortunately happens a lot; just never been on the receiving end! No offers from Abus-the bike stand is still fully operational- it's almost as if the bike dissapeared into thin air...if only! I'll be trawling the pages of gumtree and ebay over the next few days!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Tharg2007 said:
seems strange they would take the locks with them. was whatever you had it chained to still intact? im thinking maybe they bust railings or something and taking bike with locks still on to tackle later.
Do abus offer compo if their locks have been compromised?

when my bike was stolen British Transport Police told me that they often took cut locks away with them. Apparently this is to stop the cut surface being matched to the tool that was used.

Didn't make me feel any better, and this was a cheap bike.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks Ed.

I saw my bike advertised on Gumtree on Sunday- called the police numbers that had been given to me and they didn't want to help- contacted the seller and was waiting on police to confirm time and place where they could accompany me- this was after several times being hung up on and told different things. To cut a long story short- lots of misinformation; diversion; 3 hours at a police station watching them avoid dealing with other people's cases; excuses etc what happened in the end is my bike got sold and I got a text from the thief stating it had gone. The idiot was also stupid enough to give me his address-which the police checked and said was genuine - there was so much they could have done but didn't. was 99% certain it was my bike- they'd taken off the pedals and the sensors but everything else was identical including the black watercage and the fact that the bike was missing a bell since the LBS forget to put it on - the advert made the mistake of saying it was a 2009 bike and got the frame sizing wrong- talked in men's bike sizing rather than women's - stupid crib story of selling this bike as my girlfriend does not like fast bikes and prefers a cruiser- then why advertise it as a carbon fibre bike for a triathlon/racing career? Also technically if someone was trying out a racer why buy an entry level pro bike?

Idiots - the frustration is unbelievable- not only is my training for racing delayed but i now have to fork out about £300 independent of waiting for the insurance to cover accessories pedals etc which weren't on my insurance schedule. Shocking that it went for half it's cost.

The police will be getting a formal complaint through several monitoring bodies.

I am venting for anyone who will listen!:biggrin::rolleyes:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks Mac

If I would have met up with the seller - I reckon I would have beaten him senseless - there was a whole crime syndicate behind it as the bike was stolen in one part of London and was advertised elsewhere in London - seller also didn't have the bike until yesterday---dodgy, suspect and open and shut case.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
the advert funnily has now been deleted. Reported to gumtree but won't achieve much I guess

They have all his numbers; home address etc but couldn't care less.

Anyone know how long BCC Insurance takes to sort out a claim?

Top Bottom