Specialized S-Works Turbo 24c x 700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Although I am considered a bit of a Specialized fanboy, which I probably deserve I do believe that specific products lacked quality and durability. Specifically the clothing range prior to 2013 and the tyres which lacked grip and suffered poor wear rates.

Since this time I ran for a while Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Tyre 700x23 which is a tyre I really liked, it was grippy, light and felt fast. The wear rates however were of slight concern to me, they were not great and thread at the side of the tyre at times used to come free and undo.. This never caused structural failure, but looked less than attractive.
I then started reading up more about wider tyres having lower rolling resistance, so tried the Continental GP4000s 700x25c and although these tyres are a little heavier than most they feel almost bullet proof, the amount of glass I have picked out of these tyres without getting a puncture is really impressive, they were also comfortable, had a really good wear rate and felt reasonably fast in all conditions although the width of them was noticeable on an areo bike such as the Venge (they measure a slightly larger 25.7 across the tread) and you could not remove the wheel with them inflated.... These minor complaints aside I was going to stick with the GP4000s going forward.

My local LBS started raving on about the new Specialized S-Works Turbo 24c x 700 and encouraging me to try it and suggesting its the best thing since slice bread. Eventually I decided to find out what the fuss was about. These tyres are incredible, they seem as light, if not lighter than the Ultremo ZX while having incredible levels of grip, I've been riding these on my Tarmac for five months now and have not yet had a puncture, the wear rates seem really really good as well. Imho its a really really great tyre and they now reside on my Venge as well with the width not having a noticeable impact to areo

They seem to be in short supply at this moment, but if your looking for a fast durable tyre, they are imho well worth a look. Im not the only one with this opinion as reviews which are starting to come out appear to be equally as positive and enthusiastic
http://charleysbicyclelab.com/2013/the-s-works-turbo-700x24-an-insanely-good-tire/

Last edited:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
...I am considered a bit of a Specialized fanboy...

Its only june but we already have our understatement of the year!

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Other than the silly name, these tyres continue to impress me so much. They are seriously fast and light, yet grip and give confidence in a way I have simply not experienced With other tyres.
Still waiting for the puncture fairy four months after putting them on the first bike, I'm now running them on three bikes.

Milzy

Guru
How much commission are you on?

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Why would I be on commission, just because I like a product?... has that question been asked of everyone who does a positive review, or is it exclusively reserved for me? :scratch:
I only post reviews of products I feel strongly about one way or another and I provide my own thoughts with no financial gain. I also provided a link to a review which also rated the product highly. The last review I posted prior to this was for Exposure flare lights which I really like although the support and service from the company involved is very poor

After reading information information suggesting that wider tyres roll faster than thin tyres in articles such as this - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/bicycle-tires-puncturing-the-myths-29245/ I decided to test this and make up my own mind.
Over the past six months I have tried seven sets of tyres from different manufacturers which range from 23c to a poorly measured 25c and think highly of the following tyres.

Ultremo ZX HD
Grand Prix 4000s
Specialized 24c Turbo (not the 23c which still seems to be the old compound)

To be honest I'm quite content that my view seems to align with other reviews of these tyres from experienced testers and reviewers and have seen a couple more reviews which I have posted below.

http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/2013/03/test-lab-specialized-turbo-24c-clincher
http://bicyclesportshop.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/ridden-reviewed-specialized-s-works-turbo-24-tires/

So no, I'm not on commission - However If someone wished to give me commission for testing their products and reporting on my findings though I would happily take it, simply because it would save me money. I would not hide this however.

Top Bottom