Specialized Secteur - Black - Welwyn Garden / Herts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thanos

thanos

Sorry about your loss but I can't understand why you expect the police to do anything for you? I wouldn't call them for anything unless it was an emergency where I was fearful for my safety or that of my family. I used to call them about cycling incidents with maniac motons but gave up when I realised they weren't interested and that it was pretty low on their list of priorities.

You and others have to take protecting your bike, your means of transport seriously. A crappy cable or combination lock however robust it looks is as much use as a cheesy string. You need Abus Granit X Plus D locks preferably two - one on either wheel through the frame to the Oxford hoop or Sheffield stand. To carry them you need a pair of decent panniers so each D-lock in either side. This way you maximise your chances of your bike still being in the same place you left it when you return to it. Also take the saddle with you and the QR seat clamp so this will also deter some one who wants to nick and ride it away.

The waitrose manager returned my call at work and let me know that herts police did pick up the footage on monday (jumped the gun assuming they didnt since noone has yet to give me a call). Since Im not a case of a guy who can claim insurance, I will follow up today and see if they can tell me what the standard police course of action is - for the heck of it. Stevenage/Hatfield are suspect but I doubt the current user will stick in a 20mile radius. Im mostly hoping CCTV enhanced pics are their primary tool if not for recognizing the person, building a case for him in the future (The 1st cctv cam was 2 meters away from the rail).

I agree with both of you, the police primarily are for 'human incident response'. Terribly stupid of me to assume friendly ground (the suburbs) and location (cute green supermarket) and not double dlock the darn thing at all times (its just that you have to carry 11 kg of dlock for a 10kg bike. Hopefully others will head this advice and do it anyway.

I know its not fair but companies like Kryptonite should pull off cables and weak chains from the market (theyre crap no matter what the reason is).. hehe even then Im sure someone will consider roping his bike to a tree or something. Ooh the human factor..

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
The waitrose manager returned my call at work and let me know that herts police did pick up the footage on monday (jumped the gun assuming they didnt since noone has yet to give me a call). Since Im not a case of a guy who can claim insurance, I will follow up today and see if they can tell me what the standard police course of action is - for the heck of it. Stevenage/Hatfield are suspect but I doubt the current user will stick in a 20mile radius. Im mostly hoping CCTV enhanced pics are their primary tool if not for recognizing the person, building a case for him in the future (The 1st cctv cam was 2 meters away from the rail).

I agree with both of you, the police primarily are for 'human incident response'. Terribly stupid of me to assume friendly ground (the suburbs) and location (cute green supermarket) and not double dlock the darn thing at all times (its just that you have to carry 11 kg of dlock for a 10kg bike. Hopefully others will head this advice and do it anyway.

I know its not fair but companies like Kryptonite should pull off cables and weak chains from the market (theyre crap no matter what the reason is).. hehe even then Im sure someone will consider roping his bike to a tree or something. Ooh the human factor..

Hey Thanos..any news on your bike....
Poice will distribute stills around thier NPT (Neighbourhood Policing Team) areas ans to reactive. It would help if you visited your local nick and supply the team there with several copies of pictures of the bike. Most cops and PCSO's couldn't tell the difference between an Asda BSO and Speacialized, never mind knowing a model on sight. Put a description on the picture,any identifying marks. Hopefully the thief will be recognised by local plod or your bike will be spotted. I tend to harrass anyone on a bike they don't look like they should be riding...Have had a little bit of success this way (BTW I'm allowed to harrass the public, espeacially the scrotes) it's my job)
Vike

Leaway2

Lycrist
My specialized secteur 2010 (black) was stolen / cut lock (4 months old from evans cycles)
It was chained on a rail outside the Welwyn Garden City Waitrose.
not insured.. used it for all my commuting needs
cctv footage from waitrose has been provided to hatfield police.
serial# WUD092123096E
Topeak small bag, crud racer fender, specialized bottle holder also on the bike..

cctv picture of person driving off...

Picture of the bike

I reported the theft to the police.. so much for a new bike and health goals.
For all that its worth get insurance, and use dlocks, take the wheel with you if you can.. locking up the wheels and frames has no effect expecially if not using dlocks

Ouch! I have just bought one (new from Edinburgh cycles!). I'll be buying a D lock after this post.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Ouch! I have just bought one (new from Edinburgh cycles!). I'll be buying a D lock after this post.

Further to my post, looking at YouTube, some of the D locks are being "picked" in a surprisingly short amount of time (if they are to be believed), particularly the circular type lock barrels. I guess its at best, a deterrent and hope the insurance pay up.

Top Bottom