Spooky text message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I caught the end of my thumb in a door at work on Monday. Filed incident on the company vpn pc network and finally spoke to the H&S guy Friday morning as it is still sore (tying laces still hurts a bit) just to let him know I was going to my local clinic to get it looked at on Monday. I got my wife to get me an appointment
Shortly after speaking to him I get a text saying I may be entitled £5000 compensation for my accident and to send a text back to the number.
Now:
Very few people have my mob. number
Few of them knew I had hurt my thumb
It wouldn't be in those that did know interest (Company) to tell an ambulance-chaser
Can't see my GP surgery doing it, even if they have my mob. no. which I doubt
Never had a similar text before.

So is this a very spooky coincidence or something more sinister going on?

bonj2

maybe the person who shut the door on your thumb was a solicitor?

Piemaster said:
I caught the end of my thumb in a door at work on Monday. Filed incident on the company vpn pc network and finally spoke to the H&S guy Friday morning as it is still sore (tying laces still hurts a bit) just to let him know I was going to my local clinic to get it looked at on Monday. I got my wife to get me an appointment
Shortly after speaking to him I get a text saying I may be entitled £5000 compensation for my accident and to send a text back to the number.
Now:
Very few people have my mob. number
Few of them knew I had hurt my thumb
It wouldn't be in those that did know interest (Company) to tell an ambulance-chaser
Can't see my GP surgery doing it, even if they have my mob. no. which I doubt
Never had a similar text before.

So is this a very spooky coincidence or something more sinister going on?

eeek!

montage

God Almighty
£5000 :biggrin:

I'd weld mine together for that much!

Be careful with replying to that text...could be a con, texting seems a tad informal for such a situation

I've recently had a text message like that too. The only time I claimed compensation for an accident was 8 years ago. Have you ever claimed in the past or looked into a claim? It could be that some direct marketing company has got hold of a database of potential/actual claimants generated from who knows where and is trying it out for leads.
It's probably a co-incidence.

Dave5N

Über Member
They are watching you.

All of the time.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've had that recently too.
A message that said that I could be entitiled to £5000 for my recent accident. I haven't had an accident, recent or otherwise.
I have also had texts informing me that my loan for up to £10000 has been approved. I haven't applied for a loan.
I have also had special offers on pizzas next time I order a pizza from a pizza takeaway in Redditch. I live in Manchester.

What bugs me is that most of the messages I've had have come from a spam message system that I can't send 'STOP' to as there is no sender number.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Think I'll put it down to coincidence.
Can't see it being H&S guy, he's very straight laced, and he'd be the one representing the company in any legal proceedings.
Still quite odd though

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
UPDATE:
Oops. Went to A&E today (via local minor injury unit) had thumb x-rayed and I've broken it.:biggrin: No wonder it was still sore a week later
Now all strapped up and an appointment at fracture clinic tomorrow.

dav1d

A word of warning, read a while ago about messages being sent with some excuse or another to phone or text back your phone number. It is then either a very expensive text or phone call, and done to scam you out of money (through the premium rate line). Maybe that's what you got?

Top Bottom