Squeaky disc brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butty1972

I ride a Specialized Crosstrail and the (stock, as fitted on collection) disc brakes emit a very high-pitched squeal on application, particularly the front. Is this normal? The back does the same but to a lesser extent.
I was thinking about taking it to my LBS for a service at the end of the summer... and I don't know why on earth I wanted disc brakes anyway, except they look cool, but if there's anything I could do to stop them squeaking in the meantime I'd be grateful for any advice....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I ride a Specialized Crosstrail and the (stock, as fitted on collection) disc brakes emit a very high-pitched squeal on application, particularly the front. Is this normal? The back does the same but to a lesser extent.
I was thinking about taking it to my LBS for a service at the end of the summer... and I don't know why on earth I wanted disc brakes anyway, except they look cool, but if there's anything I could do to stop them squeaking in the meantime I'd be grateful for any advice....
Try a few quick "grab hard and release" braking stops ( not enough to spit you off as the release should be instant after the grab) this should bed in the pads and stop the squealing but is best done on a carpark or a cul de sac for safety,

Top Bottom