Stabilisers removed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

My four year old finally got his stabilisers removed yesterday. He had been putting it off because he thinks more wheels are better than fewer wheels.

Anyway, he was like a duck to water. And we then spent an hour whizzing around the local park together.

He was very chuffed with himself. And I was very chuffed with him too.

Keith Oates

Janner
That's one of the milestones of his growing up to remember and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Blackandblue said:
My four year old finally got his stabilisers removed yesterday. He had been putting it off because he thinks more wheels are better than fewer wheels.

Anyway, he was like a duck to water. And we then spent an hour whizzing around the local park together.

He was very chuffed with himself. And I was very chuffed with him too.

Nice one. My youngest ( 6 next month) finally overcame her stubbon streak after seeing lots of kids smaller than her riding without stabilisers on holiday.

Within 10 days we have progressed from riding about 5 foot in the garden in a straight line without stabilisers to yesterday cycling on the road to granny's house and back ( 2 mile return trip !!)

She has been without doubt the most stubborn out of all my kids to teach, girls !!!!

Davidc

Guru
Always amazes me that people put stabilisers on kids bikes. Both of mine started without them. Both took less than half an hour to learn to ride. 25+ years earlier I took 10 minutes.

Plenty of other parents I know/knew did things the same way. Just put the child on the bike, make sure they can reach the pedals and ground Ok, and start off just steadying them with a hand on the saddle. I don't know of any child taught this way who wasn't riding unaided within the hour, most much less.

Congratulations anyway - and here's to many happy (s)miles of riding.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
A pal of mine has new girlfried who had never cycled. Trying to teach her at age 35 is proving difficult. She can and does now ride but much better to teach them young.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bad Company said:
A pal of mine has new girlfried who had never cycled. Trying to teach her at age 35 is proving difficult. She can and does now ride but much better to teach them young.

How is he teaching her? The Scooting technique is the best method all round.

Anyway, well done BlackandBlue Jnr!:evil:

Shaun

Founder
Congrats. It's moments like these that give you those warm fuzzy parental vibes. :evil:

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

Thank you all very much.

We had started the little chap out on one of those balance bikes and he did well with that. When we bought him a pedal bike it came with stabilisers and he thought this was really cool - more wheels! Watching him ride with the stabilisers I was concerned that he was relying too much on them for balance and that all the good work on the balance bike may have been undone.

Not likely! The stabilisers came off and he was away immediately!

Really chuffed.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blackandblue said:
Thank you all very much.

We had started the little chap out on one of those balance bikes and he did well with that. When we bought him a pedal bike it came with stabilisers and he thought this was really cool - more wheels! Watching him ride with the stabilisers I was concerned that he was relying too much on them for balance and that all the good work on the balance bike may have been undone.

Not likely! The stabilisers came off and he was away immediately!

Really chuffed.

I suppose that stuff about 'you never forget' works, even when you've only learned on the balance bike - it just came straight back to him!

Top Bottom