Staff reviews!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

It was going so well or so I thought, and suprised I was at that too but then at the end of the discussions a rather odd bombshell was dropped and as a consequence I have spent my whole evening documenting a discussion I had re a job description for a person that works for me. He suddenly thinks because he likes the standard one for ...... Manager that he should have a promotion, new title and appropriate remuneration. In the nicest possible way (between gritted teeth:angry:) I say he isn't doing that job (actually he isn't doing the one he's paid to do yet!) and it isn't going to happen needless to say we are not a happy bunny. Of course I was accused of only caring about £ signs which to be fair is my job but didn't even cross my mind I was just gobsmacked that someone with such an aversion to work could believe he was doing such a good job he could be promoted.

A colleague of mine in the know asked him how he got on with his review to which his response was I'll tell you when I've come off the ceiling! I am expecting pain in the ass times ahead so thought best get it all on paper whilst clear in the head. But I don't want to be working now I'm missing all the cycle chit chat.

Good luck

Objectives, evidence and role aptitude.

Has he met them and how well, where's the evidence and does his current skills match the job profile for Manager.

There is always someone who thinks they should be running the company.

Greedo

I'm reminded about one of those e-mails that went about years ago with quotes from staff reviews. One always makes me laugh. The quote was:-

"This guy is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot" :biggrin::smile:

gavintc

Guru
I see a fair number of staff reviews. One of my more memorable recent ones on a female member of staff. 'I know him very well' or perhaps you do not! On another female member of staff 'she knows what she wants, and gets it regularly'. We love staff appraisal time - and put the best quotes on a white board.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Crackle said:
Objectives, evidence and role aptitude.

Has he met them and how well, where's the evidence and does his current skills match the job profile for Manager.

There is always someone who thinks they should be running the company.

Long story evidence yes, aptitude some, laziness lots. He thinks he can play big boss off against me because big boss doesn't want hassle of replacing him but I think this time big boss is not going to be stupid enough to fall for it.

Wait till he finds out I've given someone else the title of Office Manager because of her attitude and output - even though it comes with no grade or pay she is thrilled to have the status.:biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
Willow said:
Wait till he finds out I've given someone else the title of Office Manager because of her attitude and output - even though it comes with no grade or pay she is thrilled to have the status.:biggrin:
However you should probably have a strategy in place for dealing with his reaction. For example explain clearly what he needs to do so he is eligible for promotion in the future, and maybe offer some training opportunities.

simoncc

The thing with reviews is not to take them seriously. They are a waste of time in 99.5% of cases anyway. Best just to dismiss them with a few cliches and the required amount of waffle whether you are on the giving or receiving end.

Remember reviews are never, ever read again after they've been done. They just sit on a computer somewhere.

Top Bottom