Stayin' alive at 1.5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Has made it to Ireland http://www.safecyclingireland.org/
"By way of introduction, my name is Phil Skelton and I’m a member of Slaney Cycling Club in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. When I first took up cycling seriously around four years ago, I became acutely aware of its inherent dangers from listening to other cyclists and also from personal experience of being grazed by a driver’s wing mirror whilst being overtaken. This unnerved me massively, realising the fine line between wobbling in to the nearby ditch and a potentially more severe outcome. Then, following the alarming death of a second cyclist on Wexford roads over a 12 month period, I was moved to doing some research on what other countries had done about this particular problem. 22 US states have dealt with this by passing legislation specifying a safe overtaking space. This particular law states that drivers must maintain a specified safe distance while overtaking a cyclist. This specified distance varies from country to country but the internationally recognised safe distance is 1.5 metres. Countries across Europe including Belgium, Germany, France and most recently, Portugal have adopted this specified safe overtaking space."

Will it make the trip this side of the Irish Sea? What would it take to get it started here.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You could start by writing to your MP.

Ern1e

Über Member
Mine wants cyclists of the roads. She's gone as far as saying that in her view we(cyclists) have no right to be on the roads. Don't think it'd work.
I guess you will (NOT) be voting for this MP ? and if given a chance perhaps she may like to look at just which was on the road first ? if my memory is correct the bicycle was first !! and in the early days far more bikes than cars, which party is she for please let us know and perhaps maybe name and shame her.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I guess you will (NOT) be voting for this MP ? and if given a chance perhaps she may like to look at just which was on the road first ? if my memory is correct the bicycle was first !! and in the early days far more bikes than cars, which party is she for please let us know and perhaps maybe name and shame her.
Labour, although elected as a Labour & Co-Operative MP.

Your mp is gonna look silly in.20-30 years time when we're all cycling because fossil fuels are.unaffordable.
Don't think she'll be around in 20-30 years

Ern1e

Über Member
Her Election Agent at the last election was my local councillour, for my sins.
OMG your doomed I say doomed !!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Australian TV series(B&W) about a family with the same name.

StuartG

slower but further
I would be tempted to write to the responsible shadow minister with her quotes and ask them courteously to remind her of Labour Party policy - and if she has a problem with that then take it to Conference.

Top Bottom