Stolen bikes in Islington

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jp0327

HI there,

I'm a newbie!

I had my bike stolen on the weekend. And not being the type of person that just lets it slide, I did some investigation.

I found my bike on Gumtree. When I searched this guys number, it has come up with 3 other ads for bikes all in North London, same mobile, different names.

I called to ask him if I could come and have a look at the bike, and he said that he would only meet me in central London.

I've reported this all to the police. But because I don't have my bikes serial number, they don't want to hear my story.

Any ideas what to do next? I'm adamant this bike is mine.

I'm not really up for meeting this guy and getting it back. He obviously does this often and he would know where I live.

I'm just so livid that someone has done this. It's not about the bike, but the principle. Any ideas?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Take a few friends. If you can positively identify it, the thief is not going to want any hassle. If he can lose the bike and otherwise walk away, he'll be happy.

That wouldn't be an ideal outcome, but better than him selling your bike.

OP
OP
J

jp0327

Hmmm I've thought about that, but he knows where I live. He stole it from outside my door.. Could be a bit risky if he got nasty..

Tomorrow i'm going to give all this evidence to the cops and I hope they do something. If not, I'm gonna be rather despondent about the whole thing. I've got a few detailed photo's of my bike. Retails at £320 its virtually new and he is selling it for £150. Along with 3 other bikes valued at between £150 and £300.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Are you insured? - If so and the police won't do anything that's probably the easiest route.

If not how much is it going to cost anyway (if the police are going to do nothing - I assume some will disagree with this but if it was mine and not insured and I wanted it back I would pay). But make sure that you improve your bike security if he does know where you live. Do bike thieves give receipts? Could you get a friend to video you handing over the money in exchange for your bike? And then give that to the police - at least they might recognise the bloke and start to build a case against him.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ben Lovejoy said:
Take a few friends. If you can positively identify it, the thief is not going to want any hassle. If he can lose the bike and otherwise walk away, he'll be happy.

That wouldn't be an ideal outcome, but better than him selling your bike.
absolutely!

139NI

i work in Islington...
Where did you lose it?
What bike is it - make model, description?
You can still report to police - nothing will stop you from doing it - you can give make, model, colour etc

you never know what turns up......

shorttrips

It might turn up

Have just had my bike stolen and police who contacted said it may turn up as they confiscate bikes form lads who look like unlikely owners ans they cannot get them back without reciept etc. I am not so hopeful myself but they said they do recover a lot, a trip to the bike pound may pay off.

139NI

shorttrips said:
Have just had my bike stolen and police who contacted said it may turn up as they confiscate bikes form lads who look like unlikely owners ans they cannot get them back without reciept etc. I am not so hopeful myself but they said they do recover a lot, a trip to the bike pound may pay off.

i work in ISLINGTON and if you had it stolen around the borough or even outside it then i might have a very slim chance of comming across it. If you describe what it is - colour, brand, unique accessories put on, racer/MTB, serial no. - i will have a quick look for it in the yard and as they come in..

a trip to the bike pound wont pay off cos there isn't one

Crankarm

Guru
Go with a mate or two. Check it's yours. Then tell the thief he's being filmed and recorded as you are an undercover journalist and the bike was a sting. Tell him all details and footage will be passed to the police unless he co-operates with you to do an interview to tell you how many bikes he steals a day, types of bike, security which deters him, preferred locations, how much money he makes, what he spends the money on - drugs? Does he work with others, in a gang, if so, how many, etc...........

Oh and you want the sting bike (yours) back.

If it looks like getting nasty call 999 and mention knife or gun several times. That should get you an instant response.

Now buy a decent D-lock such as an Abus Granit X-Plus.
Take pics of your bike and the frame number.
Keep it inside when you are not riding it.

139NI

I have just dealt with a theft of Pedal cycle today - i have a BLUE CARRERA XFIRE hybrid bike. I need to know if its yours otherwise it will be yet another person walking away for the theft of..

Basically i want to reunit the bike with its proper owner - but naturally you have to tell me a few things about the bike such as frame no. ,proof of ownership, accesories on etc.

Top Bottom