Stolen Bikes ,,,It's annoying.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jakaan 1984

I wonder, what are the chances of ever getting your bike back. My lad got his stolen 14/07/11 outside his work (Asda Bootle , Liverpool),
It was Carrera Vituoso, bought for him on his Birthday from his girlfriend. It was his 1st Road Bike & the 1st time he rode it to work.
Asda gave him no sympathy, (last time I'll ever shop there). It was locked, but the scum just cut his locks off. Thank god we do have insurance for
it. It's so bloody annoying, & sad seeing his face last night when I went to pick him up. I just hope the saying is right , What comes around, goes Around,,,,,,,,,,,Bloody Bastards they are,,,:-( .

Flyingfox

Totally empathise, I had my bike nicked this week, so p'sed off, check out Gumtree etc., it's a longshot but you never know....

neepheid

Agreed, this is why my commuter bike is a raleigh pursuit from the 1980s that cost about 20 quid. I even take the brooks saddle off when i chain it up because it seems like the thieves are getting wise to the prices of just about everything.

I've lost 4 bikes this year...thankfully none of them cost more than 40 quid, but i wouldn't dream of leaving any of my good bikes tied up around here.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
brings forward the question why do we put up with thefet like this as an ex probation worker ive seen how little the theive care about there victims and how little effort they make in there payback! we really shoul demand more back

davefb

Guru
thing is , did he stick it where asda make spaces ?

hang on, he works there ? so it's his place of work where its been taken from ? must admit i hadnt realised this when i first read it...

thats pathetic if they dont want to know..

hang on, he works there ? so it's his place of work where its been taken from ? must admit i hadnt realised this when i first read it...

Its fairly common I think unfortunately, we've lost bikes from inside our 'secure' car park and a friend has his pinched from his workplace (morrisons) as they insisted he used the customer bike area rather than let him move it inside.

Slightly surprised at Asda here, they normally come across ok when I have to deal with them.....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

There is probably a sign saying bikes left at owners risk.

Yeah but if he works there surely there is a better place for Asda to let staff park their bikes than the customer area? Plus if he's a regular there it could be more likely the bike is spotted being left for periods of time and therefore risk is higher?

Just think Asda could do more for the staff in this case....

Davidc

Guru
Bike theft - the only crime that deserves capital punishment. Failing that some other appropriate medieval punishment.

Until that comes in all you can do is use a good quality D lock, an alarm, and then insure the bike so you get something back when it's stolen despite those measures. It's good enough though if a supermarket can't find somewhere secure for its staffs' bikes while they're working.

OP
OP
J

Jakaan 1984

Asda in Bootle is in a, should'nt really say poor part of the city. They have there bike stand outside the staff entrance, which is very vulnerable.
It does'nt have any sign saying at owners risk either. Now Asda in Aintree , they have a huge secure shed with a keypad lock to enter, Then you can lock your bike inside, though you'd have to trust your work colleagues with that system. My lad is now back on my old bike for now, but leaves it inside until they tell him otherwise. There have been a few bikes stolen there, maybe , just maybe, they might just get the message to give the staff better secure area.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Asda in Bootle is in a, should'nt really say poor part of the city. They have there bike stand outside the staff entrance, which is very vulnerable.
It does'nt have any sign saying at owners risk either. Now Asda in Aintree , they have a huge secure shed with a keypad lock to enter, Then you can lock your bike inside, though you'd have to trust your work colleagues with that system. My lad is now back on my old bike for now, but leaves it inside until they tell him otherwise. There have been a few bikes stolen there, maybe , just maybe, they might just get the message to give the staff better secure area.

Was probably nicked

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Against all odds I got my bike back a year after it was nicked. I saw it locked up in town so waited for someone to come along and also phoned the police (always report your theft). The guy who came to unlock it was not the theif but had bought it in good faith from a professional stolen goods dealer...oops sorry, Cash Converter (latter day pawn brokers) in good faith for £60. (I assume Cash Con' paid about £20, about 10% of its original price).

He could not have been nicer and after I told him some details about the bike he was absolutely sure that I was telling the truth. As luck had it he had the resiept on him in his wallet after all that time and I was able to furnish the copper with details of the original theft. The three of us then went to Cash Con@ and dealt with a particularly slick (or thought he was) manager who did try at first to get out of giving the money back to the guy who bought the bike but gave in after not very long because of the clarity of the case and the evidence.

So, I got my bike back, the guy got his money back and the original theif was caught and prosecuted from the photo taken of him by Cash Generator (Not converter as I said before. That's another bunch of con artists)
I don't know if Cash Gen' got any money back but I don't really care about them as they just encourage theft in my opinion.

So it can happen but I imagine it is very rare. I am still slightly in shock about it and it was nearly a year ago. It was possibly one of my best bike related days ever.

I wonder, what are the chances of ever getting your bike back. .............

I completely missed this question but yes I got mine back once.:thumbsup:

As a teenager being lazy I had dumped my BSO on the front lawn and gone off to do something else. When I came back it had gone so we reported the theft to the police and waited....

A few days later we get a call from a different towns police service that is approx 50 miles away, turns out they had caught someone in the process of breaking into someones house and he had ridden my bike there!:blush:

Funniest moment was when we went to collect it we had to point out the pick axe handle tied to the frame wasn't mine :biggrin:

Top Bottom