Stop start cycleway, not in UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Looks like they've taken note of UK practice. Totally useless and a waste of money.

OP
OP
R

Richard Mann

Were you thinking of the Harlow example by any chance?

An example of the cycling infrastructure so lauded by the OP...

Nope. I don't like shared pavements alongside main roads.

Much of the thinking behind the dual network was identifying why they didn't work, either for adults just wanting to get from A to B or for the nervous.

Richard

jonesy

Guru
The interesting thing about this example is that it looks like it is an on-road cycle lane, so what do the cycle route start and end signs signify in Germany? I take it they aren't the equivalent of the Dismount signs in the infamous Harlow example, but do they mean cyclists must give way at each driveway?

mcr

Veteran
what do the cycle route start and end signs signify in Germany?

Given that it appears to be in Italy, not Germany (just happens to have a German file name in that pictorial collection), I don't suppose the road signs have much bearing on anything! But I suppose it means priority switches at each sign, not that cyclists have to get off and walk those stretches - the white markings on the road do suggest that vehicles entering or leaving the driveways don't have to 'give way' until they've cross the red cycle lane.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've a question.....we have plenty of these stop start cycle lanes in England. Are local authorities totting up the 'start' bits to meet some kind of target?

To take as an example - Kingston Hill

kingstonhill.png

the cycle lane stops for each and every central island - so it's probably 300 metres of lane, 75 metres between lanes and then 300 metres of lane again. Does Kingston Council simply add up the 300metre lengths and claim that they've got so many kilometres of cycle lane?

jonesy

Guru
Given that it appears to be in Italy, not Germany (just happens to have a German file name in that pictorial collection), I don't suppose the road signs have much bearing on anything! But I suppose it means priority switches at each sign, not that cyclists have to get off and walk those stretches - the white markings on the road do suggest that vehicles entering or leaving the driveways don't have to 'give way' until they've cross the red cycle lane.

Sorry, yes I'd misunderstood your post to mean that the website of crap lanes was Italian, rather than necessarily being in Italy. Hopefully the picture doesn't get too widely circulated in this country: I can imagine on-road cycle lanes where you have to give way to joining motor vehicles being very appealing to some local authorities!

OP
OP
R

Richard Mann

I've a question.....we have plenty of these stop start cycle lanes in England. Are local authorities totting up the 'start' bits to meet some kind of target?

To take as an example - Kingston Hill

kingstonhill.png

the cycle lane stops for each and every central island - so it's probably 300 metres of lane, 75 metres between lanes and then 300 metres of lane again. Does Kingston Council simply add up the 300metre lengths and claim that they've got so many kilometres of cycle lane?

There isn't room for a cycle lane at 30mph, and they haven't got the guts to push speed down any lower, so they just do the bits they can.

There's several potential solutions - reduce speeds (to 20), narrow the islands using non-illuminated bollards, or take out the refuges and find other means to keep speed down to 30, at least (eg speed cameras, zebra crossings, pelican crossings, tight radii side roads, <3m traffic lanes).

Painting the lanes intermittently (or not at all) is easier, tis all.

Top Bottom