UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Flawed petition and does nothing to tackle the real issue, poor driving and poor vehicle choice.

I won't be signing, despite finding the profligate 'status symbol' ownership of the big 4x4s abhorrent and offensive. There are various genuine reasons for owning a 4x4 but the common reason of advertising one's wealth, success, presence or perceived importance is not one of them!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A great petition, if in the UK I would sign.
It will eventually be seen as socially unacceptable to own these monsters but in the meantime government should be pressured to curtail their use in cities and towns. The knuckle draggers will resist of course but will eventually have to give in as it will be financially unviable and too restrictive to use.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The best filter against these vehicles I've ever seen was a car park with a 1.73m height restriction, soon after entry there was a fairly substantial piece of reinforced concrete that any vehicle driver ignoring the signs and the dangling chains rattling on the roof would soon discover, although most car parks are designed around at least a minimum of 1.8m and usually more.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Define a SUV and define use. Loads are just a status symbol, as are any car - i.e. super fast electric green cars, so we need to mandate, why the FCUK do I need to get to 60 mph in 5 seconds in an electric ar - that says it uses at least double what it really needs in electrons.

Last edited:

fossyant

SIL just spent £30k on a Yaris Cross - SUV version, WTF. Ugly, but even the normal Yaris isn't cheap, at least that looks good and is better to drive. It's not a real SUV but it's too big and she can't actually use the electronics - she's not tech savvy (it's footprint is smaller than the Corrolla that she had).

Big monsters to go take the kids to school are mad, but in many cultures riding a bike is for the poor - bit weird in the UK as those with a bit more than loose change in their pocket will get a bike, but many cultures will get fancy cars instead.

Lots of 'tall' cars are no bigger or less fuel efficient than the car they replaced. That said, my old car, is far better on the motorway (ride), and on country lanes than my wife's car/soft SUV that replaced it. Fuel slightly better on the newer car, and a more comfy city ride. Motorway/country and bikes on roof, my normal car wins.

Car for the job, or really, not use it much. My car does 3k miles a year !

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Flawed petition and does nothing to tackle the real issue, poor driving and poor vehicle choice.

I won't be signing, despite finding the profligate 'status symbol' ownership of the big 4x4s abhorrent and offensive. There are various genuine reasons for owning a 4x4 but the common reason of advertising one's wealth, success, presence or perceived importance is not one of them!

While I largely agree with your point, surely poor vehicle choice is what it's about...? I'm not sure of any legit reason for driving some three ton, 15mpg monstrousity into an urban centre where its size and mass presents even more of a danger to its efficiency and the safety of other road users...

All that said, these crass icons of conspicuous consumption seem to have proliferated over a similar period to the availability of cheap debt and the other shallow displays of pseudo-wealth this has brought. I suspect given their running costs and appalling depreciation, natural selection inside the new-normal of sensible interest rates and a higher cost of living should righteously hammer the nails into their much-deserved coffin in time.

fossyant

TBH, the answer is people drive responsibly. I see too much daft driving - doesn't matter if your Range Rover, or Aygo want's past me, I am usually faster. Personally I've been splatted by small city cars loads !

I'll probably get a stupid car/or not in the next few years. Kids now driving, may need a car, I don't need one.We've already got a little 'sh1t box' as my son calls it (the 12 year old Aygo) for 'him' (not really for daughter) as he track day's his 'once nice car'. Basically the Aygo bails him out for work as his 'track car' breaks after a weekend on one - months to fix.

Wife says, well daughter might need a car (there is the kids Aygo car) if she passes her test. I'm like we aren't having more cars at the house (four), so I'll get rid of mine then (it's worth nowt as it's 22 years old). I am not having more cars at our house !

Next issue - who is shoving 4 bikes up the top of a Qashqai with roof bars... FFS.... nope.....

I'm all for binning owning a car, but I'm currently repairing 3 cars that I don't use. I'll get my 370Z and feck em off.... (it's not an SUV).

fossyant

While I largely agree with your point, surely poor vehicle choice is what it's about...? I'm not sure of any legit reason for driving some three ton, 15mpg monstrousity into an urban centre where its size and mass presents even more of a danger to its efficiency and the safety of other road users...

All that said, these crass icons of conspicuous consumption seem to have proliferated over a similar period to the availability of cheap debt and the other shallow displays of pseudo-wealth this has brought. I suspect given their running costs and appalling depreciation, natural selection inside the new-normal of sensible interest rates and a higher cost of living should righteously hammer the nails into their much-deserved coffin in time.

In english please. Don't get a feckin big car because. My sister has one 'beause'. 1 kid, and a dog they move occasionally.

wafter

In english please. Don't get a feckin big car because. My sister has one 'beause'. 1 kid, and a dog they move occasionally.

No legitimate reason to drive your enormous knobhead chariot in the city. Soon the plebs won't be able to afford them in any case 👍

mustang1

Guru
Someone asked me why I need a car that goes 200mph.
I asked what car he drove and he said Focus so I asked why he needs a car that goes almost twice the speed limit. He told me "yeah but at least it doesn't go more than 3 times the limit".

I left him alone at that point but before leaving, I told him I need car park height restriction which is 1.4m tall (the height of my fictitious McLaren). He told me McLaren aren't normal cars but a Focus is. I told him SUVs are normal too and left him in tyre smoke (coz my launch control was faulty).

Last edited:

wafter

PCP - so they all have them !

Yup.. and before PCP it was only a minority of toffs that drove them; and so it will be written that as the cost of borrowing rockets so the grotty chelsea tractor will once more become the sole preserve of our monied overlords.

Top Bottom