Lifetime Motoring Ban - Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru

Brandane

Legendary Member
Doesn't go far enough. Too many drivers would get through the net simply because they got lucky and didn't kill anyone. I would like to see an offence created for something like "showing total disregard for other road users whereby it could reasonably be assumed that the consequences may have resulted in serious injury or death to another road user"; and the penalty being a lifelong driving ban, plus maybe crushing of their car, and a public flogging. That's a petition that I WOULD sign.

Fastpedaller

Brandane - I agree with what you are saying, but at least the petition highlighted is a step in the right direction.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can impose a lifetime ban. But the people you are imposing it on usually dont care. They will still drive. They will get caught, get a few slapped wrists and then a 2 year prison sentence, probably suspended.

If it was a lifetime ban with an 8 year prison sentence the first time you get caught. Then it may have some weight.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You can impose a lifetime ban. But the people you are imposing it on usually dont care. They will still drive. They will get caught, get a few slapped wrists and then a 2 year prison sentence, probably suspended.

If it was a lifetime ban with an 8 year prison sentence the first time you get caught. Then it may have some weight.

And of course, there are very few Police officers out there any more to actually catch a banned driver. Most will be driving around in a car with cloned plates on it, so cameras are meaningless to them. As long as they don't do anything stupid in front of the Police, they could drive around forever more with impunity. Paying no insurance or VED either. "The system" is only a deterrent for honest people.

Lifetime driving ban will never happen with a first offence. It's quite basic in jurisprudence. And no country has it.

We operate in a climate where offenders with a string of serious traffic convictions are given suspended sentences repeatedly. These include driving with insurance and driving while disqualified. Katie Price is living example.

She should have worked with an advocacy group with legal expertise in this area to frame her petition to be in a position to be considered. The driver involved in her child's death got 9 years jail and 7 years driving ban. It is a lost opportunity sadly.

Reactions: C R

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Six month ban plus six month walking the verge of A road picking up the crap that gets thrown from car windows. No excuses.

Fastpedaller

I absolutely agree. Maybe "If you are caught driving a car then you get an automatic sentence equal in length to the ban you were given". Your car (or the one lent to you by your friend!) will be sold and the funds go into the "fund for victims of the uninsured (sorry I don't know the correct name) :blush: " or crushed - whichever is the favourable financial outcome.

Fastpedaller

And of course, there are very few Police officers out there any more to actually catch a banned driver. Most will be driving around in a car with cloned plates on it, so cameras are meaningless to them. As long as they don't do anything stupid in front of the Police, they could drive around forever more with impunity. Paying no insurance or VED either. "The system" is only a deterrent for honest people.

A covert look at regular intervals of the addresses of those banned may enable police to catch them - or the nosey neighbour reports!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

This is not the case. Banned drivers have to get to work. Between 4am and 7am is quiet time for police night shifts and they will have a long list of banned drivers, their addresses and cars. But banned drivers change their cars and rarely park them outside their house. But that is part of the game. Catching banned drivers was my goal in lfe. I enjoyed it and was good at it. I doubt if it has changed .

Brandane

Legendary Member
I doubt if it has changed .

As you might know, I am also ex Police. I've been out of it 20 years now but still in touch with others either still serving or recently retired. I think you'll find it HAS changed, and changed beyond recognition. Not allowed to say too much on a public forum, but let's just say they don't have the resources they used to have, to allow the targeting you and I were able to do. Not even at 4am on the night shift! No doubt it is still possible, but on a much smaller scale, and only scratches the surface of the problem.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As you might know, I am also ex Police. I've been out of it 20 years now but still in touch with others either still serving or recently retired. I think you'll find it HAS changed, and changed beyond recognition. Not allowed to say too much on a public forum, but let's just say they don't have the resources they used to have, to allow the targeting you and I were able to do. Not even at 4am on the night shift! No doubt it is still possible, but on a much smaller scale, and only scratches the surface of the problem.

It makes me wonder what they are up to at 4 in the morning. We had a spell where they could not catch shoplifters because they were busy looking for terrorist. 🤣🤣

Top Bottom