Storm Imogen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
We're not getting it as bad as you guys down south but it is getting pretty windy round these parts now and we are on flood alert for the river Calder and the canal is brim full yet again. Todmorden through to Hebden bridge and Mytholmroyd are all on flood alert again as we speak.
http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/calderdale/flood-alert-issued-for-river-calder-1-7722149

Aye, you get a bit blase about these things living in the Outer Hebrides and forget sometimes that you live in a place with no trees, in houses that are built to cope in strong winds, no big capitalist/corporate businesses who are gonna fire you if you don't take the risk of travelling in a force 9 across a moor etc. etc. Potential for incidents, injury and damage is much greater in a large conurbation - so hope everyone is ok.

ps. The media do piss me off with the 'worse down south' reportage tho'.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Aye, you get a bit blase about these things living in the Outer Hebrides and forget sometimes that you live in a place with no trees, buildings built to cope in strong winds, no big capitalist/corporate businesses who are gonna fire you if you don't take the risk of travelling in a force 9 across a moor etc. etc. Potential for incidents, injury and damage is much greater in a large conurbation - so hope everyone is ok.

Just wait till the home counties get snowbombed!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Aye, you get a bit blase about these things living in the Outer Hebrides and forget sometimes that you live in a place with no trees, buildings built to cope in strong winds, no big capitalist/corporate businesses who are gonna fire you if you don't take the risk of travelling in a force 9 across a moor etc. etc. Potential for incidents, injury and damage is much greater in a large conurbation - so hope everyone is ok.

Yeah. I actually extended my commute home today as gusting 40 mph and drizzling is one of the best days we've had for a while :biggrin:

Hope everyone's safe down south

Hyslop

Veteran

And that's me down South agreeing with you:smile:.I know that's not what you meant though,so stick in there,we haven't all forgotten you:okay:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Bideford is still there this evening, by all accounts. I guess that someone would have noticed if it had floated out into the Atlantic. Probably.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I am going to Bideford from North Wales on friday, what are the conditions there like?
Should have calmed down considerably by Friday. On current forecast it looks like I shall be out on the bike around the Barnstaple / Bideford area.:okay:

I didn't do much distance the latter part of last year, but still out on average every third day, and so far nothing as bad as some winds back in 2013-2014 the worst being the second quarter of 2013 for average winds and a max in the third quarter 2014 which was something like 20mph without gusts they would have been in the 40+mph range I guess.
As for any increase in storms, maybe we need to look at the average temp, whilst last year I think was cool on the whole this winter is quite warm, over the previous 3 years avg wind is 2015-3.7mph, 2014-3.7mph 2013-4.5mph, so far this year 4.6mph but thats to be expected at the moment being winter, this is from my data of conditions whilst out, so it won't include and very high winds but a general view and as I ride almost every other day on average it will be a fair picture.

Top Bottom