Stress in your life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Being an exporter at work stresses me. Being a driver to and from work stresses me. Being a husband at home stresses me when I get nagged. Being projects manager at home stresses me. Being a Dad stresses me at times.

The only time I'm not stressed is when I'm out on my bike. How about you?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've got very good at switching off, esp in moments of solitude... but yeah, solo riding does it for me!

Tetedelacourse

I don't accept that being under stress is any sort of way to live your life. I've been placed under a lot (relatively speaking) lately at work and I resent it. I saw the Occ Health person who gave me a leaflet. woo-hoo. Decided that either the situation changes or I'll move on. Life's too short, plus why should the onus be on us to learn how to become more resillient rather than on the organisation to remove or reduce the stressors to an acceptable level?

Maybe I've taken this thread the wrong way...

Keith Oates

Janner
Stress, either real of imagined is a good thing, it gives you the perfect excuse to go out and do what you really want to do and everyone supports you to help you get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tetedelacourse said:
I don't accept that being under stress is any sort of way to live your life. I've been placed under a lot (relatively speaking) lately at work and I resent it. I saw the Occ Health person who gave me a leaflet. woo-hoo. Decided that either the situation changes or I'll move on. Life's too short, plus why should the onus be on us to learn how to become more resillient rather than on the organisation to remove or reduce the stressors to an acceptable level?

Maybe I've taken this thread the wrong way...
I sort of agree with you, though when I'm doing something I get a buzz from (like a course I'm currently designing) a certain amount of stress helps me to work fruitfully... however, when it's IMPOSED stress from outside forces, then I'm with you. My general rule for work is... close the office door... close my mind on work till I open the door again. It works for me... I know colleagues who come in stressed on Mondays, reporting having spent most of the weekend sortig work stuff out... my reply is usually along the lines of... will you get extra pay for it? No? So don't do it... ;)

Maz

Guru
I find homelife stressful sometimes. I'm glad I cycle to work to 'get it out of my system', otherwise that stress would carry over into the workplace.

Stress is fine as long as you have some degree of control over the stressor. It's when you can't control the onset or magnitude of the stressor over a period of time that it starts to take its toll.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I decided some time ago that I'd rather be poor and stress free, than rich and stressed. So, I've managed the 'poor' bit...

No, I really couldn't be doing with constant stress. There's a certain low-level background worrying about the future of course,(the PhD, what to do after that), but otherwise I'm not too pressured....

Being out on the bike is good, although Sunday's 8 miles into a gale wasn't exactly relaxing.... I also find just walking around York is good, down by the river perhaps, bit of music on the MP3 thingy etc...

Andy

I'm the same, used to get too stressed about everything from work to kid's health and everything in between, however after the last 2 - 3 years I have just about managed to change my outlook. Reading books and seeking help has allowed me to see that in many respects what will be will be. Not that I'm advocating sitting back and going with the flow all of the time, but getting overly stressed over issues does not help you keep a clear mind to resolve these issues.
I was under immense stress both at work and home and now that I have eventually found myself in a job where my boss puts absolutely no pressures on me and the home stresses (which unfortunately involved serious illness and death) have resolved themselves I have come out the other side feeling a lot stronger and looking at things in a different way.
I now enjoy challenges and setbacks at work and helping people work through them whereas before I may have got even more stressed and depressed about the whole thing.
I have not been out on the bike nearly enough this year although you are all correct, a solo ride (leave it out Fnaar!! :biggrin:) is a great stress buster, probably even more so than a ride with the club bunch at the weekend. (Fnaar....I'm watching you!!)
A little stress is good in that it keeps you on your toes though, but it has to be under control otherwise....well, we all know, don't we. ;)

MarkF

Guru
I used to be under an awful lot of stress in corporate life. Traffic jams, meetings (god, the meetings:sad:), method statements, risk assessments, monthly targets etc etc I was bored to death but life, a miserable one, went by so fast. I was a right grumpy git too.

One day I had an epiphany, in my car, in my suit, stuck in a jam, again, on the way to work. Got there, emptied my desk, chucked my car keys on it, left and walked to the train station. The best thing I have ever done in my life, wish I'd done it a decade earlier, but like most people I plodded on, what if this? what if that?

I have less money, but enough, life is immeasurably better, I wake up happy every day and I am 100% stress free.:biggrin:

Andy

MarkF said:
I used to be under an awful lot of stress in corporate life. Traffic jams, meetings (god, the meetings:sad:), method statements, risk assessments, monthly targets etc etc I was bored to death but life, a miserable one, went by so fast. I was a right grumpy git too.

One day I had an epiphany, in my car, in my suit, stuck in a jam, again, on the way to work. Got there, emptied my desk, chucked my car keys on it, left and walked to the train station. The best thing I have ever done in my life, wish I'd done it a decade earlier, but like most people I plodded on, what if this? what if that?

I have less money, but enough, life is immeasurably better, I wake up happy every day and I am 100% stress free.;)

SUPERB!!!

How many of us have thought of that AND actuslly got around to doing it? Magnificent. I kept meaning to do it but never had the time. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
I'd suggest getting a Blackberry for work and a mobile that your wife and family can use to get hold of you as and when. Get handlebar mounts for both of course.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Commuting stress and time wasting in a car can be eliminated by the fairly simple act of either cycling in, or if too far, using a scooter/motorcycle.
Using the m/cycle to get through tyneside rush hour traffic saves me at least 50 min commuting time a day-compared with car/public transport (thats ~166hours per year:o)
Far from commuting to work being a stressful chore its often the highlight of a rotton day..you are in another elevated time zone, nothing, but nothing, except the odd snowy day in winter, can stop you...parking is free-for me right outside the building ( £700 a year for uni parking no thanks)

I'm always stress free :biggrin:

Top Bottom