Stupid Schrader valve question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I'm suffering from brain fade. For a bike using Schrader valves without locking nuts (and which can't take one because of the rim shape), is there any practical difference between using tubes with rubber covered valves and ones with the valve threaded all the way down the outside?

No. You need a ride and a beer.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Firstly, no question is stupid, Secondly, I haven't a clue as to the correct answer.

Ajax Bay

Guru
[QUOTE 4269238, member: 9609"]the non car-tube type[/QUOTE]
That's 'Presta'. This thread is about Schrader ie the car type one. Some valves are bare metal, sometimes threaded and others have a rubber sleeve up to the last (threaded) 8mm (used for the 'dust cap').

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Thanks all. My brain is now unfaded and a new tube fitted.

(Incidentally, found Schwalbe tubes on the shelf in Wilkinson's cheaper than they're available from the big online suppliers)

@Yellow Saddle recommendation taken, though I opted for a cider (and after the ride!)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 4269238, member: 9609"]I can't think which valve is which presta/shrada ?[/QUOTE]

The presta is the one with the wee barrel that you 'press ta' release the air.

image.jpeg

GC

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all. My brain is now unfaded and a new tube fitted.

(Incidentally, found Schwalbe tubes on the shelf in Wilkinson's cheaper than they're available from the big online suppliers)

@Yellow Saddle recommendation taken, though I opted for a cider (and after the ride!)
Personally I found Wilkinsons tubes to be utter bobbins (albeit presta ones)... Make sure you carry spare non Wilkos tubes. They are IMO fairly cheap (although not that cheap if you search for deals) for a reason, I.e. They split and didn't hold air for more than a nano second! Ymmv

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Personally I found Wilkinsons tubes to be utter bobbins (albeit presta ones)... Make sure you carry spare non Wilkos tubes. They are IMO fairly cheap (although not that cheap if you search for deals) for a reason, I.e. They split and didn't hold air for more than a nano second! Ymmv

These were Schwalbe tubes, not the Wilko own brand ones - I haven't tried the latter. I guess they're carrying Schwalbe as a branded alternative to their own ones.

The only possible difference is that you might get a rattle with the uncoated Schrader type of valve. I don't think I have ever seen a Schrader valve with a locking nut, come to think of it. They certainly never have them on car tyres.

There again, I don't use locking nuts on Presta valves on my bikes either. Nobody died.

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Straying off course now, but on typical (tubeless) car tyres the valve body is rubber and they mount into the rim differently (just pop into the rim with a groove that engages the edge of the hole in the rim). Most tubed vehicle tyres I've come across are either similar to the rubber sheathed bike ones or have plain (unthreaded) metal bodies. Certain competition car tubeless wheel rims use screw in Schrader type valves.

Top Bottom