Summer heat and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

Hello,

I have a quite specific (and possibly somewhat naive) question about riding in the heat of summer.

It's obviously more uncomfortable, but is it 'better' exercise, and at least potentially, therefore, more beneficial to someone trying to improve fitness (than riding in lower temperatures would be)?

I understand the precautions that need to be taken regarding dehydration, exposure to the sun, heatstroke, etc, but am particularly interested in the above question (which I hope I've framed well enough to be answerable).

This doesn't pertain particularly to me, BTW. It's just something that occurred to me whilst I was slogging up a hill yesterday at mid afternoon, sweating like the proverbial pig, and searching for a silver lining!

Thanks

Steve

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Yeah it's more beneficial to ride in the summer as you swallow more flying insects which is protein.

OP
OP
S.Giles

S.Giles

I'd better rename the thread 'Steve's Comedy Club' in your honour! :-)

Most of them seem to end up in my eyes, though...

BSRU

A Human Being
Most of my cycling is early in the morning during the coolest part of the day, I take advantage of the very early dawns.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry Steve, I'm pretty sure that the answer is 'no'!

(Excessive heat is going to limit the amount of work you can do, so I reckon pleasantly warm days are much better than baking hot ones.)

OP
OP
S.Giles

S.Giles

Sorry Steve, I'm pretty sure that the answer is 'no'!

(Excessive heat is going to limit the amount of work you can do, so I reckon pleasantly warm days are much better than baking hot ones.)

Thanks ColinJ for answering my question, even if in the negative.

My understanding is that the body produces heat as a result of the process (cellular respiration) that converts glucose into CO2 and water to produce ATP (the chemical which provides the energy that enables metabolic processes to occur). That kind of heat then is an indication of energy being used.

Following this reasoning, external heat would just make you hotter, with no beneficial effect. This is somewhat counter-intuitive, though. It feels as though you're working harder on a hot day.

Steve

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I decided against going for a ride sunday as the only chance i had was at 3 .30 pm when it was hottest , much as i love cycling i didnt feel like killing myself in the heat .

OP
OP
S.Giles

S.Giles

I'm not a fan of sunglasses, but I do have a pair of £2.99 eye protectors purchased from Wilcos a couple of days ago. I won't win any competitions for style, but they work for me.

(Thanks for the links, Montage)

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Hello,

I have a quite specific (and possibly somewhat naive) question about riding in the heat of summer.

It's obviously more uncomfortable, but is it 'better' exercise, and at least potentially, therefore, more beneficial to someone trying to improve fitness (than riding in lower temperatures would be)?

I understand the precautions that need to be taken regarding dehydration, exposure to the sun, heatstroke, etc, but am particularly interested in the above question (which I hope I've framed well enough to be answerable).

This doesn't pertain particularly to me, BTW. It's just something that occurred to me whilst I was slogging up a hill yesterday at mid afternoon, sweating like the proverbial pig, and searching for a silver lining!

Thanks

Steve

You sweat to keep cool, so you need to replenish liquid and salts lost. Riding at any time of year is better than not riding. Summer riding is the best as your muscles are more efficient. You could also be sweating like a proverbial pig as you are carrying too much fat. Imagine cycling on a hot day with winter clothes on. Well it might be that if you are of a heavy disposition your body does not cope well in the heat as you have accumulated too thick a layer of fat and also if you are too heavy your muscles have to work harder then if you were lighter having a lower percentage body fat. But you will still sweat on a hot day to keep you cool. Sweat evaporates from your skin which cools you. There is no gain without pain.

mrvandango

Regular
I've found recently on some of my evening rides I'm struggling to breathe deeply enough on the steeper hills to get enough air into my lungs. This wasn't a problem until the temperatures regularly started exceeding the mid 20's. That can't be helpful!

Top Bottom