Sun Racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:biggrin: Found this one to use for parts for my Carlton restoration project but its a little bit too nice to scrap so I will give it some TLC & use it for nipping about on here & there so another one saved to join "The Carlton Club Made in Worksop" :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03172.JPG
    DSC03172.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC03171.JPG
    DSC03171.JPG
    546 KB · Views: 622
  • DSC03169.JPG
    DSC03169.JPG
    475.4 KB · Views: 504
  • DSC03173.JPG
    DSC03173.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 490

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of a classic there - very nice

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Rather nice that, frame looks to be a Raleigh built one with the thimbles in the form crown. Dont see too many Sun bikes. I ultimately wouldn't mind a Worksop built model in my stable.

Rather nice that, frame looks to be a Raleigh built one with the thimbles in the form crown. Dont see too many Sun bikes. I ultimately wouldn't mind a Worksop built model in my stable.
:biggrin: The only things Raleigh on this one are the RSW16 type front forks & the wheels (all shipped in from Raleigh Nottingham) The frame is a "Carlton Cycles" one took straight off the line (it has no frame number) The Guy who I got it off built it on His dinner break & used it for transport to & from work till 1981 cost £15.00p employee discount it then went into the garden shed. :biggrin:

Spokesmann

:biggrin: The only things Raleigh on this one are the RSW16 type front forks & the wheels (all shipped in from Raleigh Nottingham) The frame is a "Carlton Cycles" one took straight off the line (it has no frame number) The Guy who I got it off built it on His dinner break & used it for transport to & from work till 1981 cost £15.00p employee discount it then went into the garden shed. :biggrin:

Great story, those forks are Raleigh 'design' though - the thimbles Im referring to anyway.

A nice Sun Stanga or an old Manxman would be rather nice for me.

:biggrin: Sun Worksop denotes Carlton Cycles Eastgate Kilton Road manufacture The rest are & were made/built at that other place in Notts.Regarding builds & parts most Carltons made after1964 & right upto the factory closure had Nottingham made products on them inc a lot of special build frames that were made for the USA market All these special frames were made at Ilkeston Special Build Section the rest of the rubbish in mass production at Nottingham Works because by then Carlton Cycles was just a factory building up bike parts direct from Raleigh (there I,v said that terrible word) Regarding the Sun built at dinner time you don,t know the half of it mate I know Guys who can/could put a full bike together in minutes with all the right bits to hand their wages depended on it! There were more Carlton factory seconds running round Worksop in the 70s costing £15.00p discounted than racing bikes in the Tour of France. :biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
It's a fine looking machine!

It's a fine looking machine!
:hello: Yes it is & thanks very much A few more pictures of the yellow peril I,v been round Him with the old 3 in 1 oil the tyres have blown up but need replacing the front wheels chrome is shot the back cones need a fettle TLC but apart from that it rides just fine so another one is saved thanks Phil another ex Carlton Lad :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03174.JPG
    DSC03174.JPG
    470.9 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC03176.JPG
    DSC03176.JPG
    456.2 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC03175.JPG
    DSC03175.JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 392

Spokesmann

Great to see more shots. What type are those brake lever hoods? I have a similar logo on my GB synchrons, although the brakes look like the Weinmann 730s.

Top Bottom