Sweet Chestnuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - so I can roast them and I can make soup out of them... what else? I have a rather good supply after a 45 min forage this afternoon. The tree just kept throwing them at me!

6lbs or 2.75kg in 45 mins.

IMG_1717.JPG

ScotiaLass

Guru
I love roasted chestnuts!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My middle child has just returned from a French exchange with tinned chestnuts, chestnut purée, home made purée (the grandmother made it), chestnut purée in a tube. I've yet to work out what I should use the purée for! So any recipe ideas will be gladly accepted.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Roasted some foraged ones on Sunday. Lovely.
I did wonder if you could make a sort of houmous style sweet puree out of them.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
My middle child has just returned from a French exchange with tinned chestnuts, chestnut purée, home made purée (the grandmother made it), chestnut purée in a tube. I've yet to work out what I should use the purée for! So any recipe ideas will be gladly accepted.
There is a really rich, thoroughly decadent chocolate and chestnut terrine recipe by Nigel Slater that I've cobbled together a couple of times. As the recipe says, it is really rich (did I mention that) so you wouldn't want too much of it at a sitting. Give it a go! :hungry:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...-chestnut-terrine-recipe-by-Nigel-Slater.html

Are sweet chestnuts the little ones that are in clumps of three or for? I'm not sure I'd know a sweet chestnut if it fell on my head, which it probably has?

Done some reading now. Cases are sharp little critters. I think I picked one out the dogs paw the other day. I shall head back to the site and investigate.

Top Bottom