Switching from SPD’s to flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I’ve been mainly using spd pedals on my road bikes for quite a long time. The exceptions were my Brompton and an elephant bike - both used for short and slow trips.

I like spds and have no trouble using them, with one important caveat. After about two hours, my feet in the area of the cleat become quite uncomfortably numb. This is more pronounced in my right foot, which is rarely unclipped. Both feet also become quite cold after a while. This happens in all 3 of my spd shoes and both sets of pedals, which are otherwise comfortable.

I’m now considering switching to flat pedals on at least one of the road bikes. Has anyone else made this switch, and if so were there any disadvantages?

thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
I switched all my bikes from SPD to flats as I no longer had enough bend in my left knee to clip in, upstroke was agony.
no downsides other than the odd slip when spinning or in wet. I use trail running shoes, stiffer soles than running shoes.
caveat, I can’t currently cycle for 2 hours, but certainly no sore feet yesterday after an hour (and I had ankle surgery in December)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’ve been mainly using spd pedals on my road bikes for quite a long time. The exceptions were my Brompton and an elephant bike - both used for short and slow trips.

I like spds and have no trouble using them, with one important caveat. After about two hours, my feet in the area of the cleat become quite uncomfortably numb. This is more pronounced in my right foot, which is rarely unclipped. Both feet also become quite cold after a while. This happens in all 3 of my spd shoes and both sets of pedals, which are otherwise comfortable.

I’m now considering switching to flat pedals on at least one of the road bikes. Has anyone else made this switch, and if so were there any disadvantages?

thanks
I've no experience of switching back to flats.

I can ride all day on SPDs without any problems. What you describe suggests your position is wrong for you.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Trail running shoes with flat pedals is an interesting idea. I had a pair of Inov-8 shoes a few years ago, which is used for hill walking. Super comfortable and (from memory) quite stiff soles.

Funnily, I have been thinking the same the last couple of days. No problems with spd’s but realised when riding my mtb the other day with flat pedals and trainers how I was enjoying being able to move my feet around a bit more.
After years of riding flats with toe clips (no straps) I decided to try out SPDs some weeks ago. I have done about a dozen 20ish mile rides with them (luckily no falls but a couple of scares) but tbh I just don't like them and feel no noticeable benefits from them so am in the process of changing my main bike back to the flat pedals and transferring the SPD pedals to my back-up bike.

The experiment has just cost me about £12 for a set of cleats so it hasn't cost me much.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
When I bought my Kona second hand in November 2019, it came with a set of DMR V12 flat pedals on it. Having ridden SPD's for years, I did resolve to pop a pair of SPD pedals on it when I got the chance. DMR V12 are quite an aggressive pedal with 10 pins on each side of the pedal for grip.

However, the more I rode the bike, the more I loved the pedals and in the end I just never got around to switching. I ride off-road a lot and have even toured off-road, covering over 12 hour days in the saddle. On odd occasions my shoe has slipped, but only rarely, I started with riding in an old pair of SPD shoes with the cleats removed, but found approach shoes much more comfortable and now I ride in 5 Ten shoes which grip the pedals like poo on a shovel. I love them and would never contemplate returning to SPD.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Similar to Chriswoody. My road bike has Look pedals, it was the only bike I regularly rode until I got a tourer about 18 months ago. That came equipped with Wellgo steel flats. Initially the plan was to put SPDs on, but 18 months of riding flats has steadily convinced me that I just don't need them, so I suppose you could say I'm a convert back to flats. Main advantage is that I wear whatever shoes I want, trainers or casual shoes for a few miles utility ride (pub, shop), or hiking shoes for long days.
I haven't really found any disadvantages yet.

netman

Veteran
Yep, always had foot pain on longer rides when clipped in, despite trying many different pedals, shoes and positions. Switched back to flats about 18 months ago and much prefer it - no pain, more freedom to move my feet around and feels safer to me too. Worth a try...

Gunk

Guru
These days I ride with single sided (flat/spd) pedals, perfect if you just want to ride short trips in trainers. And on my Mountain bike I’ve been using flats for years.

However if we’re on a cycling holiday I fit my ancient old VP R61 SPD’s, I’ve had them for over 20 years, they’re like a comfy old pair of shoes.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Both feet also become quite cold after a while. This happens in all 3 of my spd shoes and both sets of pedals, which are otherwise comfortable.

I get cold feet with SPDs but not with SPD-SLs which I put down to the metal cleats transferring heat away from the sole of the shoe.

Reactions: Dwn
If flats work for you, great - quite a few Ultra riders have moved over (for a number of reasons) quite successfully (and they are very performance-focused!)

I would say that your numbness sounds like a variation of "hot foot" (not "hot fEEt" !!! ), which is due to compression of certain nerves between your metatarsals. It is also common in ladder workers. You might want to look into the solutions people found for their hot foot. (wider shoes was the single biggest help for me).

Reactions: Dwn
Top Bottom