Taking up cycling again at 60....am I mad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You'd be mad NOT to take up cycling at 60, if health permits! :okay:

I am 60 and enjoy doing rides up to 100 kms or occasionally 200+ kms in length, which are often very hilly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not too late to start. You've got 40 years practice to build up fitness and try and beat Monsieur Marchand's veteran category hour record

rugby bloke

Veteran
Welcome from central Northants ... enjoy your riding, you are never too late to take up a sport. I went back to rugby at the age of 47 - now that was stupid !

Drop me a message if you fancy meeting up for a ride. One word of warning - Northants is significantly more hilly when experienced from a bike !

Kajjal

Guru
Also from a very hilly part of northants, just get out and enjoy the bike. Even this time of the year is alot drier than you think, just avoid riding when icy or in high winds.

Our neighbour is in their mid 70's and is a regular mountain biker :smile:

kapelmuur

Veteran
I started cycling at the age of 64 never having been a cyclist previously, 4 years later I'm still and enjoying it and planning to do my first imperial century this summer.

It's great fun, especially when the sun is shining!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As long as you can still get your leg over, it's fine. Get out on your bike and you'll be too busy thinking about your next ride and getting fit to worry about buying new machines.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As long as you can still get your leg over, it's fine. Get out on your bike and you'll be too busy thinking about your next ride and getting fit to worry about buying new machines.
Funnily enough, I noticed today that I must have modified my bicycle mounting technique at some point in the past. My hips do ache a bit if I move my legs too far out to the side. They are fine with the fore/aft movement of walking and cycling but I think I will give up any idea of ever 'doing the splits'! :okay:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I'm no where near your age and i think you're nuts. But really, why live your life any other way?

Good luck to you sir! Enjoy.

(And +1 to all the other positive comments on this thread).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You may find that the winter weather isn't as bad as you think. As long as its not icy, blowing a gale, or hammering down with rain then riding can be good. So you may be able to get out sooner rather than later.

That said, it's important for forming a long term habit that you enjoy it, rather than making it a chore, so it's entirely up to you.

Top Bottom