TDF under threat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanhum

I signed up because I am really worried that my annual joy and one of the few things I like a TV for, is being threatened ie Le Tour. Why would anyone want a national team? That is totally against what most of us like about the tour - it's international flavour, beautiful scenery, and the feeling that you are watching a genuine bunch of athletes, where the hell they come from doesn't matter!! Great, get rid of the radios. And the teams are becoming a bit like the big football clubs where money rules - well I did say in my profile that I'm a grumpy old man .....

Shaun

Founder
Copied this here from the welcome thread.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

Skip Madness

In general I would agree that national teams are pointless. Interesting, though, that many people (myself included) have a soft spot for Euskaltel. I have written before about how I think they have a lot more identity than other teams, and their national team approach fosters that. But I don't know if a lot of that is down to genuine admiration and affection for how they ride or a subconscious patronising/fetishising of small nations and oppressed peoples/violent terrorists (delete as applicable).

I also agree about the money - I find women's cycling is much more romantic for that reason. More patronising and fetishising...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sorry, did I miss something? Is the TdF under threat? There's been the usual suggestions for how to change it (that will be ignored as usual)... but other than that, what?

Skip Madness

I think it's an extrapolation of the entry of the Sky team, although I doubt that it will end up being much more of a national team than most other teams based in a certain country.

yenrod

Flying_Monkey said:
Sorry, did I miss something? Is the TdF under threat? There's been the usual suggestions for how to change it (that will be ignored as usual)... but other than that, what?

:thumbsup:

Skip Madness said:
I think it's an extrapolation of the entry of the Sky team, although I doubt that it will end up being much more of a national team than most other teams based in a certain country.

The name 'national team' is being bandied about by Dave Brailsford for some reason even though I'm convinced he means a squad mainly presided by brits...sponsored by SKY.

Seeing the Downing bothers getting theirs asses kicked will be quite exciting actually as they think they're king of the swingers (in the UK) - if they're in the team.

UK based pros never appeal to me really as the better comp. is based on Europe.

yello

Shouldn't that be Fletcher?

Chrisz

Über Member
Personally I would love to see a British National Cycle team in the Tour. It would make cycling much more interesting to the general public and raise the profile/respect/acceptability of cyclists in general - something that is currently rather lacking in this country.

Bigtwin

Chrisz said:
Personally I would love to see a British National Cycle team in the Tour. It would make cycling much more interesting to the general public and raise the profile/respect/acceptability of cyclists in general - something that is currently rather lacking in this country.

Nice idea, but I don't think it would work. Doesn't with Hoy etc, and I think the reason is that we have a country of lazy fat knackers, crap roads, too much traffic, 4x4 school runs and dodgy weather. On account of that, there just won't be enough people actually doing it for it ever to really take off as a popular sport. We live in a nation where the car is king, and everything else can bugger off. That and bloody wall-to-wall footie 24/7.

mr-marty-martin said:
isnt astana a national team?
That's more or less how it started and that's how it might end up if Vino has his wicked way. French teams tend to contain mostly French riders, likewise Italian teams. Not national teams by any means, but close enough.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Cycling is very good in the UK. Loads of clubs, lots of international success, we're doing much better than most countries.

We just like a good moan about nothing...

Bigtwin

zimzum42 said:
Cycling is very good in the UK. Loads of clubs, lots of international success, we're doing much better than most countries.

We just like a good moan about nothing...

Mebbe most, but not most European countries. Our car culture is far worse. IME you get treated far more pleasantly on the roads in Europe than we do here.

Top Bottom